My New Scale Means a New Me! (Hilarity Ensues)

Options
I'll spare you the tedious introductions - I'm a twenty-something who'll be getting married in 1 year and has decided to slim down for my big day. I'm about 5 ft 9 and my target fitness goal is a muscular 150 lbs. I have been working my buns off since May 1, 2009 though I only recently found My FitnessPal.

Okay - so here's the amusing story:

I started May at 245. I was mortified having never been so large in my life and having moved up all the way to 18's in teen jeans. Something had to be done. I worked my way down to 233 or so I thought - that is until making a new purchase. I realized something might be wrong with my scale when I gained 2.5 pounds after using the restroom. They've been good to me for a long time - but I decided that I couldn't stand not knowing what I weighed. I weighed myself on my old digital scale - 234 tonight. I stepped onto the brand new, out of the box, tested on my dumbells and a sack of flour to be 100% accurate scale and instead of 234 I am 208.6!

Still a long ways to go between me and 150 pounds - but I feel as though I have a new lease on my fitness program! I definitely love the idea of losing 58.6 instead of 84!!! I was thinking it would take me until December to get under 200 pounds - now I honestly think it's possible in the next month if not sooner!

Best of luck to all you fellow dieters. Make sure to check how accurate your scales are!!!! I am sure glad I did!

Replies

• clarkcj
    clarkcj Posts: 18
    Options
    240565.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

oh i forgot to use my ticker!
  • RXchic
    RXchic Posts: 47
    Options
    I have been thinking my scale may need new batteries for a while now... the display takes longer to come on & it goes off quicker. But I have been afraid to do any investigating because what if I change the batteries or get a new scale and I turn out to be heavier??:noway:
    Now I'm thinking I should get a new one. Thanks for sharing!
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Awesome story!! You know those scales our our enemies and could yet be our best friend. You go girl. You will be at your guy weight before you know it. Grate
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That is a great story!! Congratulations and good luck!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    LOL! I bought a new scale when my old one gave me a different weight every time I stepped on it...as much as 50 pounds heavier or lighter. I told my son, can I just keep jumping on and off until it gives me a number I like?? :noway:

Anyway, congrats on your sudden weight loss!! What a great thing to learn.
  • betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    LOL! I bought a new scale when my old one gave me a different weight every time I stepped on it...as much as 50 pounds heavier or lighter. I told my son, can I just keep jumping on and off until it gives me a number I like?? :noway:

Anyway, congrats on your sudden weight loss!! What a great thing to learn.

I have a tendency to get on and off until I get the same number twice. The other day I got four different numbers, w/in a five-pound range before I got any of them twice.

I also started taking measurements two weeks ago. I'm taking them again tonight.

Someone else talked about setting a clothing size as your goal. I like that idea. I'm going for a size 10. I don't think I've ever been one of those! And I'm planning to get down to 150 as well!

:bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    great story, thanks for sharing and good luck on your weight loss journey :flowerforyou:
  • clarkcj
    clarkcj Posts: 18
    Options
    Sad update: apparently weighing on carpet as opposed to linoleum has a tremendous impact on my new scale. While I'm not as low as I thought I have officially lost 17 pounds of flab since May 1, 2009 when I was weighed at the Dr.'s office - so that is STILL great news to me even if I'm not quite down to 200 yet.

240565.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I know how you feel. I bought a new one and had to try it right away. Well I weigh nude and some how my jeans were unknowingly under the edge, taking off an extra 25 pounds I'm like WHAT???? My pants should be falling off me if this is true! Well then I discover the problem, darn.....