Accurate-ness of calories on site.

Options
Do any of you wear a heart-monitor and log your calories on here also?

I find it weird, I also assumed that you burn about 100 calories per mile ran, but on here I put that I ran 40 min. with a 10min mile, equalling 4 miles and it gives me almost 700 calories! I estimated around 400 calories, thats a HUGE difference!

Any input?
I figure I burn a little extra because I do have a lot of muscle (I have been doing serious weight-lifting for almost 3 years) and I am very athletic (I've been running over 20 miles a week for the past 3 years also). And I'm only 20.

But 669 calories for a 40 min. run at 6mph ? Seems too high!

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Have you worn a HRM while you're running? That would be the only way to for sure find out how you are doing.

I find that the exercises on here are fairly close to what MFP says. Getting a HRM is the best money you can spend for sure. You don't have to spend a lot of money on it either. I got the reebok XT and it was only $39. Works perfectly and has a strap so it's more accurate.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i would definitely recommend a heart rate monitor. i found that the numbers the site gave me were much higher than i was actually burning. i weight about 140, 5'5'', pretty muscular, and i burn less than 300 calories for every 30 min i run at 6 miles per hour.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hmm I'm about 140 and 5'8" and I'm assuming I probably burn less. Dang! No wonder I'm not losing weight lol
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I actually found out that I was burning more than what the machines said so that is also an option. Maybe you're not eating enough.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    that's actually exactly what my problem was. i wasn't losing weight for the longest time because i was overestimating my exercise calories.

while its not as accurate as an hrm, one thing to do is to measure your pulse as soon as your done running. there are sites that use your pulse as well as your height, weight, and gender, and therefore give you a better number than this site.
  • kankan213
    Options
    I am a giant idiot Lol I just realized I have been logging my running at 10mph for a 6 min mile when I've ACTUALLY been running 6mph for a 10 min mile. WOW. No wonder I'm not losing weight!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH!
  • kankan213
    Options
    LOL I'm so mad about this :explode: