C25K questions

Options
2»

Replies

• fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I had pain in my calves as well during weeks 3 and 4, or something like that. However, I got over it by starting to strech properly. Nowadays I always stretch a little after the warm-up (calves, thighs.. just quickly - I stop the podcast while I do this so that it won't be cheating :wink: ). After a jog I stretch as well.

Finished Week 7 today, only two more weeks to go! :smile:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow, thats awesome on week 7! Im so jealous :) I will try the stretches tomorrow. I am trying to go every other day now but should I do it more often like 2 on, 1 day off? is that better? Thanks for the suggestions guys, they are totally appreciated!!

cheers
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Also curious about the 5 minute warm up when you start this program. Does the warm up count toward the 20 minutes or should you be doing the intervals for 20 minutes for a total with warm up, of 25 minutes?

It's actually about a half hour work out... 5 minute warm up, about 20 minutes or so intervals, 5 minute cool down walk.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm not done, but I"m working through the C25k and I agree with what everyone else has said. Never ran in my life, I really like it now. It certainly gives a sense of accomplishment. I take a day or so off in between. The podcast I listen to suggests 3 days each week, so usually I go Monday, Thursday and Saturday. So far those two days off between Mon and Thurs haven't had any negative consequences for me. :flowerforyou:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Also curious about the 5 minute warm up when you start this program. Does the warm up count toward the 20 minutes or should you be doing the intervals for 20 minutes for a total with warm up, of 25 minutes?

It's actually about a half hour work out... 5 minute warm up, about 20 minutes or so intervals, 5 minute cool down walk.

That's what I figured, why doesn't it explain that on cool runnings? Well, yesterday I did the 20 minutes and finally found that slight burn I was looking for. I only did 90 second cool down though. I was rushing as I had to go pick up my kids at school and shower beforehand.

I'm doing it every other day so Monday - Wed - Fri- Sun-Tues... you get it.
    What pace are most beginners running at? I'm walking at 3.7-4.0 /// jogging between 5.5-5.7
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

I don't include my 5 minute warmup on my workout but I do include my 5 min cool down because I also do strength training right after my run since my muscles are warmed already.

I was never a runner. I was the kind of kid that would skip on track days at school so I didn't have to run lol. I couldn't run one lap around the track without breathing heavy and feeling like I was dying.

Several years ago I started walking and walked for years. Mostly 3-5 miles at a time. I would jog in intervals, too, during my walks. When I first started walking, I told my husband that someday I want to run because I was never able to do it before. That was my goal.

5 years later and I'm just now a newbie runner. My first 5k is in August. I can run 5k without stopping and my time keeps improving with each run (well, at least on my good days lol). But, I have FINALLY accomplished my goal. I consider myself a runner and I love it! The endorphins have me hooked!

For those of you who want inspiration and advice, join us at the MFP Runners Club! There are all kinds of runners...from newbie to marathon runners who have lots of great advice.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I completed week 1 last week and plan to repeat this week. (I have been sick all week) I included the 5 minute warm up in the 20 minutes, but agree that the 20 minutes should probably be just the walk/jog intervals. So, I plan to do week 1 for 2 more days, then start on week 2. My warm up is at about 4.3mph, same with the walking part, and my jogs are 6.7 - 7.0 mph. I find that speed actually easier than a slower jog...