So-called "Diet" and "Sugar-Free" Foods

Options
This is posted from Dr. Bernstein's website.......................This is why it is so important to be a label scrutinizer................

This is yet another reason I do not trust what the USDA and FDA tell me what I should be eating........

The Food pyramid is a joke.
Because U.S. food-labeling laws in the recent past have permitted and thus encouraged products to be called “sugar-free” if they do not contain common table sugar (sucrose), the mere substitution of another sugar for sucrose has permitted the packager to deceive the consumer legally.

Most so-called sugar-free products have been, for many years, full of sugars that may not promote tooth decay but most certainly will raise your blood sugar. If you’ve been deceived, you’re not alone. I’ve been in doctors’ offices that have candy dishes full of “sugar-free” hard candies for their diabetic patients! Sometimes the label will disclose the name of the substitute sugar.

Here is a partial list of some of the many sugars you can find in “sugar-free” foods. All of these will raise your blood sugar.
carob
honey
saccharose
corn syrup
lactose
sorbitol
dextrin
levulose
sorghum
dextrose
maltodextrin
treacle
dulcitol
maltose
turbinado
fructose
mannitol
xylitol
glucose
mannose
xylose
molasses

Some, such as sorbitol and fructose, raise blood sugar more slowly than glucose but still too much and too rapidly to prevent a postprandial blood sugar rise in people with diabetes.

Replies

• junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    Amen to that sister!

I haven't wasted my money on so-called diet or sugar-free foods for quite some time.

I'd rather have one made from scratch brownie than most anything else out there. Not to mention how ridiculously overpriced it all is considering the crap it's made with.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow...interesting. I believe this applies to the product cover/packaging. You know, the colorful marketing part of the package. But if you look at nutrition label, it should still tell the true grams of sugar (no matter what form) under the carbs, right? Please tell that's so.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wow...interesting. I believe this applies to the product cover/packaging. You know, the colorful marketing part of the package. But if you look at nutrition label, it should still tell the true grams of sugar (no matter what form) under the carbs, right? Please tell that's so.

No, it is not necessarily so....................

That is why I don't trust the FDA and the USDA...............

They allow Splenda to say it is a no calorie sweetner when it does have calories in the powdered form due to the maltodextrin they add to it to bulk it up and make it powdery............

The individual packets have like 2 calories per packet and if you buy it by the bag, it is 4 calories per teaspoon..............so if you use Splenda, you are getting hidden calories and that is not good because then you don't have an accurate count.

They get away with saying it is 0 because the FDA and USDA (the government) allows them to say it is 0 if it is less than 5 calories.............

Think of the breath mints and stuff you consume that say 0, they are not zero................
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    just a warning though, Dr. Berstiens is not a healthy way to lose weight(not saying you are doing it, but for anyone considering it) I did it years ago, lost 60lbs in 3 months, I was extreamly happy!
    I was also passing out and had horrible blood suger problems from it, it's a starvation diet allowing only 600 calories a day. I quit and gained back 80 lbs within 6 months, not even eating what a normal person would as it completly messes up your body!!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    What about Stevia? Is it as bad as Splenda? I currently use splenda in my tea and sometimes my oatmeal! HELP! I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING SWEET!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    just a warning though, Dr. Berstiens is not a healthy way to lose weight(not saying you are doing it, but for anyone considering it) I did it years ago, lost 60lbs in 3 months, I was extreamly happy!
    I was also passing out and had horrible blood suger problems from it, it's a starvation diet allowing only 600 calories a day. I quit and gained back 80 lbs within 6 months, not even eating what a normal person would as it completly messes up your body!!

I don't eat Dr Bernstein's way.................I am on Atkins, Phase 2 (climbing the carb ladder), I just subscribe to many different blogs, sites and newsletters that the science all coincides together.

That was not the point of my post, the point is about the sugars and sweetners and how the FDA and USDA allowed them to be labelled.

Thank You for your input.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Double post
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    What about Stevia? Is it as bad as Splenda? I currently use splenda in my tea and sometimes my oatmeal! HELP! I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING SWEET!

Stevia is all natural, it is a plant that is crushed into a powder and is very powerful sweetner.

I do use Stevia and RAW, local honey on occasion.