What to believe... elliptical machine or MFP?

Options
kc82
kc82 Posts: 65 Member
When I work out on the elliptical at the gym, the machine registers that I burn on average of 350 calories. However when I enter my exercise on MFP it says that I've burned 555 calories for that exercise. That's a pretty significant difference and I'm honestly not sure which one is correct or which one I should use.

So my question is, what number do you go by? I would hate to think I'm burning more calories, when in actuality I'm not. :)

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Most machines are way off, MFP is probably closer but probably not right either. Best way to measure calories for cardio is to use a HRM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most machines are way off, MFP is probably closer but probably not right either. Best way to measure calories for cardio is to use a HRM.

Agreed, I would believe neither.
  • season0508
    season0508 Posts: 33
    Options
    I would say elliptical.. I think MFP averages way higher on what you actually burned... Like at gym if I burn 550 cals on here it would say over 600 so I go with lower numbre to be safe
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Agreed - neither is accurate.

An HRM uses your gender, height, weight, age & heart rate to measure calories. What information did the machine ask for? The more information the machine has ... the closer it will be.

The one thing the machine AND MFP will not have is your fitness level (resting heart rate VS. workout heart rate). I assume MFP is using an average (?)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    If you have to go by one, go with the lower number.

For me the elliptical would say 350, MFP would say 200 and really I burn 100.
  • kc82
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the replies! The elliptical machine only asks for my weight, nothing else. I've actually been looking into buying a HRM, however I'm a little lost as to which ones would be best for me. They seem to have mixed reviews. Any suggestions?
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    MFP calculates my elliptical calories burned way higher than my HRM. The machine is closer to my HRM than MFP. If that helps any.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Both are inaccurate w/o a HRM.

The elliptical tells me I burn about 1/4 more calories than I actually do, and MFP tells me I burn about 1/3 more calories than I actually do. If you work out a lot (like me) these discrepancies can really add up and actually cause you to GAIN weight.

Get yourself a HRM!!
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just recently did this experiment- comparing all three. I cannot remember specifics, but I did 30minutes of pretty heavy intensity elliptical and found it to burn about 350 calories (I weigh 200lbs). The elliptical itself was in the 400 range and MFP even higher.

It wasn't far off, but the only real way to tell is by using a HRM. Both the elliptical and MFP are a bit too high, but if you are going to go with one or the other, go with the elliptical but enter in a weight 50lbs less than you actually weigh. It is pretty close to what your HRM will say.
  • suzannelmartin
    suzannelmartin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is a HRM? And where can I get one.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I just bought this too from bodytronics.com for about $60. It is AMAZING!!!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    your heart rate monitor
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the replies! The elliptical machine only asks for my weight, nothing else. I've actually been looking into buying a HRM, however I'm a little lost as to which ones would be best for me. They seem to have mixed reviews. Any suggestions?

HRMs are the best means for measuring exercise calories that we have that also is cheap enough for most people to own. They are not perfect but they are probably within 5-10% which is probably way more accurate than the machines at the gum or MFP.

I would check out a Polar HRM @ http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

I have a FT7 and love it, you can get it for $75 new or sometimes on ebay for less.
  • kc82
    Options
    Thank you all again! This all VERY helpful information. I am checking out the link provided for the HRM, I know that is going to be my best best in the long run. :)
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor over both, when I purchased my heart rate monitor I discovered, I was cheating myself by almost 200 calories by just using what mfp thinks my calorie burn is. the HRM is your best bet for accuracy
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I just bought this too from bodytronics.com for about $60. It is AMAZING!!!

This is mine Too! OUTSTANDING!
  • HellzNellz
    HellzNellz Posts: 40
    Options
    You should buy a heart rate monitor....I got a Polar monitor thru Amazon for only $65. Great tool for weight loss.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Neither! HRM is your best bet. I have a Polar FT7 & love it!
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup both are way off and usually overestimate. When I got my HRM I found I was way overestimating everything!! I have the Polar ft4 and it was 65 shipped to my door and I love it!