Question about bad knees & exercise

Options
Hi guys, I've lost a little over 60 pounds and I recently started exercising. I had messed up both of my knees in different times in the past (once 2 years ago I slammed my right knee down accidentally and something popped; once I had chondromalacia patella in my left knee) and I did a body combat class for the first time yesterday, which involves kickboxing moves. About 10 minutes into class, my right knee started feeling uncomfortable and hurting a little so I tried to go a little easier on them, but it's hard to in a class like that. Today my knees are a little achey and I don't want them to get messed up again. What's the best way to prevent this (other than not going to the class anymore, of course) or make them feel better?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would see a sports doctor or an orthopedist. You might need a knee support. They would be in the best position to say whether or not you should continue this activity.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You might need to strengthen the muscles around your knees. Is it possible for you to visit a physical therapist?
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did you ice your knees after class? Did that help at all?

I agree that you should check in with your ortho to see what they recommend for you. They may have you wear a brace or be able to recommend specific types of shoes. I alos have chondromalacia patella in my left knee and I just try to stick with exercises that don't aggravate it. It's a personal choice of course, but the way I see it is that there are so many different ways to exercise so would would I select the ones that cause me pain?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can you only a little high impact stuff (over 50) - but you might alternate lower & higher impact days.

Could it be a form issue? If this activity really new, you might try doing things in half-time until you get the form down. I stay away from torque/twisty type stuff ..... I'm just not real coordinated.
  • cnmince
    cnmince Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and your desire to get more active. I'm not sure that kickboxing moves are going to be the best bet for someone with ongoing knee issues. Please be careful! As mfpcopine said, I would consult your orthopedist or a sports medicine doctor. I'd hate for further injuries to discourage you (or worse: sideline you!). Just my two cents' worth. I had knee surgery 2 years ago for torn cartilage and there are some things I won't even try. Kickboxing is on that list. There are so many other ways to get exercise that won't strain my knee so I stick with them. Even so, if my knee feels tweaky after exercise, I ice it down and/or take Advil. Good luck!
  • BriHealthy150
    BriHealthy150 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't ice it after the workout but I did take advil. I'm going to get knee braces for the time being and I'm going to look into seeing an orthopedic. Thank you all and good luck on your progresses :) xo