Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good Cardio for Beginners

2»

Replies

• Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 326 Member
    Execrcise DVD are good check out totalfitness and collage video. The old crunch dvd,s for 30 minutes is great. Denise Austin dvd's are good. I have knee issues and right now I am checking out a DVD called insight yoga earth by sarah powers.
    Truly yoga though not extremely aerobic/more intensity deals with hunger issues,self love and getting a new perspective while trying to lose weight. Hope this helped.
  • LoriJ1782
    LoriJ1782 Posts: 41 Member
    I've always been interested in yoga but I have trouble with some positions because I also have issues with my right wrist (I know, I'm falling apart lol) I was an admin asst for 5 years so the dr thinks it's carpal tunnel. I'd love to do yoga though cause I've heard it's good for the mind as well as the body, I would need to do it where I'm not putting a lot of weight on my right wrist. Is that possible?
  • Jay0hwhy
    Jay0hwhy Posts: 63
    walking or zumba
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 928 Member
    I've always been interested in yoga but I have trouble with some positions because I also have issues with my right wrist (I know, I'm falling apart lol) I was an admin asst for 5 years so the dr thinks it's carpal tunnel. I'd love to do yoga though cause I've heard it's good for the mind as well as the body, I would need to do it where I'm not putting a lot of weight on my right wrist. Is that possible?
    i'm sure you can modify the routine to suit your physical restraints.
  • this definetly works for beginners! its also a great way to get your heart rate up gradually
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Try walking on the treadmill on an incline. The incline will take some pressure of your knees.

I can vouch for this. I have an Incline Trainer - I can walk on incline soooo much better than on the flat surface.
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Maybe it's cuz I danced for 15 years, but Just Dance on the Wii is one of my favorites.

Yoga is all about your personal best and your own strength and stretch--if you need to skip some positions or alter them, absolutely do it!

I've been watching season 11 of the Biggest Loser, and the trainers are all about boxing. Until you can get over your knee problem (I find my left knee calms down a lot AFTER getting on the treadmill and bike), maybe you could try something like shadow boxing--you can raise your heart-rate without putting any pressure on your knees. Don't punch a bag... just the air, anyone could do it.

Good luck!
  • Aliza18
    Aliza18 Posts: 1 Member
    I had a lot of pain in both wrists several years ago. It was hard even to drive a car because it hurt so much to hold the steering wheel. I signed up for a yoga class but thought I would have to quit because of the pain from the pressure on my wrists during the downward-facing dog position. I stuck it out for two weeks and the pain in my wrists disappeared. I couldn't believe it. Maybe the act of putting weight on the wrists in the opposite direction of the way they're hunched over the keyboard was what did it. I don't know. All I know is that I've been mostly pain-free since then. Amazing.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    I too have knee problems

Arc Trainer. This is super easy on the knees.

Treadmill (start out at a 10 incline & about 2.1 - 2.3 speed
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    It really doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it.

I started at 322 pounds. I have 2 herniated disks. I have arthritis in my wrists and shoulders. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs carrying a laundry basket full of clothes. i couldn't walk my dog (and she's NOT a puller) I couldn't walk from the parking lot into a store if I tried to also carry a purse or from a store to my car if i tried to carry bags.
    I bought an elliptical - It became a clothes hanger for 2 years.

You get the picture....i was in BAD shape.

In January,i started using the elliptical for two whole minutes...zero resistance, zero incline. I started walking to the mailbox and back. I started parking at the far end of the parking lot and grabbed a cart to help balance myself and walked. I did a song or two with the Wii and Just Dance.

The point is ... I started. And when what i was doing didn't hurt anymore, I upped what i was doing.

Walk around that small living room. When that doesn't bother you anymore, walk around the block. Swim when you can. Look up "sit and be fit" on Youtube - yeah it's cheesy and geriatric, but you'll be moving and that's all that matters.

Just start ... slowly.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    I have a gazelle but it's in storage cause my husband says it's too big for our apartment. I loved it and my best friend said she'd help me get it out and make room for it since he won't so I'm hoping she pulls through and I can get it, then I'd be set!
    Get it out and set it up. Use it. If your husband is on board with you losing weight, he'll make room. If you don't use it, then he has a legitimate reason for not wanting to waste the space.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It really doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it.

I started at 322 pounds. I have 2 herniated disks. I have arthritis in my wrists and shoulders. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs carrying a laundry basket full of clothes. i couldn't walk my dog (and she's NOT a puller) I couldn't walk from the parking lot into a store if I tried to also carry a purse or from a store to my car if i tried to carry bags.
    I bought an elliptical - It became a clothes hanger for 2 years.

You get the picture....i was in BAD shape.

In January,i started using the elliptical for two whole minutes...zero resistance, zero incline. I started walking to the mailbox and back. I started parking at the far end of the parking lot and grabbed a cart to help balance myself and walked. I did a song or two with the Wii and Just Dance.

The point is ... I started. And when what i was doing didn't hurt anymore, I upped what i was doing.

Walk around that small living room. When that doesn't bother you anymore, walk around the block. Swim when you can. Look up "sit and be fit" on Youtube - yeah it's cheesy and geriatric, but you'll be moving and that's all that matters.

Just start ... slowly.

Oh yeah - thanks for the reminder

There is a whole series of "Sit to be _____" http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/seated-exercise-exercise-videos-47

Chair dancing, seated yoga, resistance training .... Collage Video has 18 different ones. Look at some video clips & find something that looks good. Your local library may have some of these.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Walk!! Also Leslie Sansone videos are good. They are around 10 bucks at Walmart.:flowerforyou:
  • LoriJ1782
    LoriJ1782 Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I've got a lot to consider! :)
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    There used to be a show on tv called "sit and be fit". It was exercising from a chair. You may be able to find it online or maybe there are DVD's. If not, make up your own exercises from a chair... Use some weights...I use a step and make up my own movements that I remember taking classes years ago.....Anything to get you moving!!!!! Good luck!!!