does anyone use bodybuilding.com ?

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I just decided to get a gym membership and now that I will have access to all the equipment, I am trying to find a routine to follow... I made an account on bodybuilding.com because they have a lot of different routines and such but is there anyone here that can point me in some type of direction? Lol. I am a beginner.. never really done weight lifting before. I did a little bit of p90x but that's about it. So I'm kind of nervous. Help? Are there certain plans on there that anyone likes or anything?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend checking the following forums:

Nutrition (see stickies)
    Fat Loss (see stickies)
    Exercises (see stickies)
    Workout programs (see stickies)

By the same token, I would highly recommend avoiding the supersite as it's stuffed with broscience and sub-par programs.

All-Pros
    Starting Strength

^ These are good starting points IMO. I've also heard great things about New Rules of Weightlifting for Women but since I'm not familiar with the details I can't comment.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Sidesteal said. Also, the Nutrition section of the forums is a very honest, direct, and amazing place. You will find a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people there. Just make sure you read the stickies FIRST before you ask questions, or they'll just refer you to the stickies. ;-)

Bodybuilding.com is where I started.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Exactly what Sidesteal said. Also, the Nutrition section of the forums is a very honest, direct, and amazing place. You will find a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people there. Just make sure you read the stickies FIRST before you ask questions, or they'll just refer you to the stickies. ;-)

Bodybuilding.com is where I started.

I agree Joe. There are a handful of very, very educated posters there. There's no way I'd be anywhere near where I'm at now if those guys didn't pull my head from my *kitten*.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    bump, been on bodybuilding.com for a month or two now and still lost.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I still post over there and it has a lot of good conversation going on, but stick to the parts of the forum listed above. Misc isn't fore the light hearted or really for females at all.

If you are looking for a lifting routine check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • cocoa_cutie513
    cocoa_cutie513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

What are you trying to learn? I agree with everyone. Bb.com is an excellent resource
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you! I was looking through the website and it all seemed really confusing. I clicked on the tab that said "find a plan" and it came up with some, like Jamie Eason's LiveFit program and some others...

So to clarify, you guys think I should probably do something like this: (this is a sticky in one of the forums you mentioned)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Instead of one of the routines that I found on the main site? This routine looks a lot less intimidating...
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

What are you trying to learn? I agree with everyone. Bb.com is an excellent resource

Don't want to hijack OP thread so in short good lifting workouts, and eating properly to fuel the body and help gain muscle.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Okay, thank you! I was looking through the website and it all seemed really confusing. I clicked on the tab that said "find a plan" and it came up with some, like Jamie Eason's LiveFit program and some others...

So to clarify, you guys think I should probably do something like this: (this is a sticky in one of the forums you mentioned)

Instead of one of the routines that I found on the main site? This routine looks a lot less intimidating...

Provided you learn correct form on the lifts in that routine, yes. It will take a while to learn the techniques but that is an excellent program.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Don't want to hijack OP thread so in short good lifting workouts, and eating properly to fuel the body and help gain muscle.

Read the stickies in the nutrition section.

Also, check out Steve Troutman's link here:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Yes, that's not a bad routine for a beginner. You could also checkout New Rules of Lifting For Women or Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Both books are perfect for beginners.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I have their forums bookmarked and *always* lurk there (for some reason I like the idea of not having an account with them). One of my workouts from my lifting routine is from the Workout Program section. It's the sticky that says "A Simple Beginners Routine".