Pull - Ups

2012asv
2012asv Posts: 702 Member
I've never done a pull up in my life. This is (one of) my ultimate goals.... to be able to do multiple pull ups.

Obviously if I reduce my weight it will be easier but what are some good workouts to do to strengthen those muscles? And for those of you who "can" do pull ups, how long did it take before you could accomplish that, given that you worked your butt off?

Thanks!! :D

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Anything to strengthen your lats, deltoids, and biceps will help.

Do you lift at a gym? If so, most of them have an assisted pullup station. That's great for easing into them.

If at home, You can get resistance bands and use them to lighten the bottom portion of the lift.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Firstly, you're awesome for wanting to do it! I don't see many women with pullup goals.

Secondly, the assisted pullup machines are great. I also find that doing reverse pullups helps a lot. I'm almost to the point where I can do a chinup. Not quite there yet, but almost.
  • Clynch171
    Clynch171 Posts: 12 Member
    i saw this great article on pinterest: http://greatist.com/fitness/i-want-to-do-a-pullup-022012/
    It's still a little hard for me, but I liked the plan.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Try to do a chin up first. Pull downs on the machine will help
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    I've never done a pull up in my life. This is (one of) my ultimate goals.... to be able to do multiple pull ups.

Obviously if I reduce my weight it will be easier but what are some good workouts to do to strengthen those muscles? And for those of you who "can" do pull ups, how long did it take before you could accomplish that, given that you worked your butt off?

Thanks!! :D

Well at home, get yourself a pull up bar. Use a chair, put your feet on it, how hard you push with your legs will determine how hard the pullup will be, push a little with your legs it will be hard, push a lot with your legs it's easy.

You can also do negative, Get yourself to the top of the bar (as if you just did a pull up) and SLOWLY lower yourself. Should take about 5 seconds to go back to starting position.

^^^ Good info

I have an iron gym at home that I use along with an app on my phone that tracks my progress and gives me sets to do. For instance. 1, 1, 2,1, 1 and when you can do that you move onto a more difficult set of pull ups.

I also use the assisted one at the gym, along with working the upperbody (as someone mentioned).

When I started I couldn't do one, but now can do 4 in a row!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    I practiced with the assisted pull up machine at the gym, negative pull ups and with resistance bands. Hard work and dedication will get you there!!
    Obviously general strength building of back, shoulders and arms is necessary too.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Great info guys! Thanks a LOT! I cant wait to go home and get started... Thinking of starting with the resistance bands and negative pull ups.

:drinker:
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    I'm glad I came across this! That is one of mine and my work out partners goals. Good info to have!