5x a week workout/1200 calories a day no change ;/ WTF

Options
Ok so excuse my "tude" but im a little heated this afternoon. I took 3 months off of working out and dieting to trick my body off of plateau.... i sacrficied 10lbs doing this but really thought itd work. I have already lost 35 lbs...but now 25lbs cuz i gained 10 back.

Last Monday was day 1 of operation Victoria Secret bikini (yes i named the damn thing)

Every day I was between 1200 and 1400 calories (my BMR is 1600) per MFP's instruction....

I worked out everyday M-F for ATLEAST 1 hour doing Cardio and Strength training. saturday i walked all day at a festival sunday was my rest day.

Yesterday went to the gym 2X's!!!!!

Did my measurements last Monday and then yesterday.

Not only did i only lose .05 but my measurements were larger everywhere except my thighs!!!!

Starting out how long did it take others to see results... i obviously didnt start out slow i shocked the hell out of my body with 5x a week workouts and went from 1800-2000 cal's a day to 1200... thought id see a drastic change... but nothing ;/

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You are eating below your BMR.......And exercising......
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You are eating below your BMR.......And exercising......

yep!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    5 whole days and no progress?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    As pp mentioned, it appears that you are not consuming enough calories to lose weight. Your body appears to be holding onto everything because you aren't feeding yourself enough.
    Try upping your calories (with healthy food) and seeing what happens.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Eating more to lose. You are working out a good amount but not eating enough. Are you eating back your exercise cals?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's only a week. Could be water weight. You might be more successful / feel better if you ate more.

When most people recommend a "diet break" to get past a plateau they mean a month of eating at maintenance usually while continuing to workout. If you gained 10lbs you were obviously eating above maintenance.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i should have said.... i am adding my excercise calories back into my diet... i am follwing MFP to a T
  • TayaKrasikova
    Options
    If you did all that you most probably lost fat weight but you gained muscle weight so that’s why it seems like you have not lost anything. As time progresses you might even gain a bit of weight because muscles are heavier than fat but soon after you will start loosing weight because when you gain muscle mass you burn calories while exercising and even after you exercise because your muscles are recuperating from the workout.
  • hotjacki85
    Options
    As pp mentioned, it appears that you are not consuming enough calories to lose weight. Your body appears to be holding onto everything because you aren't feeding yourself enough.
    Try upping your calories (with healthy food) and seeing what happens.

to revise to u and others... i do add my excercise calories back into my food calories.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Patience? It's only been a week, right?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Last Monday was day 1 of operation Victoria Secret bikini (yes i named the damn thing)

Come on, you seriously expected some kind of miracle in only 7 days?

You probably should call this Operation Crash Diet, or Mission Impossible.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you cannot get yourself you hit the BMR calorie intake try to zig zag your diet. This is what I have to do other wise I eat too little. Try eating your set amount for 3 days then day 4 eat higher back to your set amount for 3 days then 4th go higher, ect.

What this does is helps prevent the plateau effect, when you eat the higher day try to stay aroun 200-300 up from the 3 days in between that way your body will jump your metabolism to keep up with the extra calories but then stay up until you have to boost it again.

My tips are from my experience in dieting and was used by me as a variation of the diet from my Dr. Use this method at your own risk.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    i should have said.... i am adding my excercise calories back into my diet... i am follwing MFP to a T

I am confused....I thought you said "Every day I was between 1200 and 1400 calories (my BMR is 1600) per MFP's instruction"

MFP is just a calculator....What do you have your loss rate set to? Change it to 1lb / week or so.....Don't eat below your BMR. Don't eat back all your exercise calories unless you are 100% sure you #1 - Burned what it said #2 - Haven't underestimated your food intake at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you did all that you most probably lost fat weight but you gained muscle weight so that’s why it seems like you have not lost anything. As time progresses you might even gain a bit of weight because muscles are heavier than fat but soon after you will start loosing weight because when you gain muscle mass you burn calories while exercising and even after you exercise because your muscles are recuperating from the workout.

Not likely. To gain a significant amount of muscle you need to be lifting heavy and eating ABOVE your TDEE.
  • hotjacki85
    Options

Come on, you seriously expected some kind of miracle in only 7 days?

You probably should call this Operation Crash Diet, or Mission Impossible.

Come on, seriously.... I never said i planned on a miracle in a week... just expected something... I have already lost 35 lbs. im well aware of how my body operates. Nice ****ing profile pic
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't strive to eat lower than your BMR... Your goal should be to hit your BMR exactly. That means 1600 calories

You are not in "starvation mode", starvation mode is an extreme case. But I do think you need to shoot for 1600 on the nose, if you're relatively sure your BMR is 1600.

And you can't expect results in a week. It takes a long time for the body to change. If our body composition easily changed from week to week, we probably would have died of starvation before forming civilized society. Your body is going to fight to maintain its current weight. So you really will have to be patient.

Edit: zig-zagging absolutely works. But it does mean you will have to force yourself to go over sometimes!
  • hotjacki85
    Options
    If you cannot get yourself you hit the BMR calorie intake try to zig zag your diet. This is what I have to do other wise I eat too little. Try eating your set amount for 3 days then day 4 eat higher back to your set amount for 3 days then 4th go higher, ect.

What this does is helps prevent the plateau effect, when you eat the higher day try to stay aroun 200-300 up from the 3 days in between that way your body will jump your metabolism to keep up with the extra calories but then stay up until you have to boost it again.

My tips are from my experience in dieting and was used by me as a variation of the diet from my Dr. Use this method at your own risk.

Thanks i will try this
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Muscles sore from new week of workouts?

Even if not that sore, if it's new, they'll hold on to water as part of process to repair.

Which you aren't really giving much opportunity for that, so they may repair, but not better likely.

Good job selecting 1lb goal so you can get more than 1200 base.

After all, exercise is for improving the body
    Diet is for losing weight. exercise may make that easier or harder.

But the exercise can't improve things if not fed, and not allowed to recover.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you dont have enough fuel to be doing all of that. 1200 is for someone who wants to lose weight and never exercise.