Are protein bars even good for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I generally only use them either an hour before or right after I workout. The only ones I use on a regular basis are Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe. 180 calories, 20g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 75 mg sodium
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Read the label, most are light candy bars.
    Agreed... It is like saying have some juice because it is better than pop..

Maybe I am negative because I believe in quantity fills me up not calories, carbs..etc. My mind isn't tricked into seeing how a small bar can fill me up better than something twice the size with less calories.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I asked this question. I got a lot of really nice responses. Thanks everyone!!

I love CRABS!!!! pinch pinch
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    oh and to the person who said candy bars... I went to Sprouts on my lunch break like I mentioned I was going to do and they are located on an isle that was labled CANDY!!!!!!

Good grief...

BTW I didn't get any :) I do want to get a few for mornings that I wake up late :) but I was hoping to do some more research
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I LOVE detour lean muscle... 16grams protein.. 2grams sugar... 190 cals... and they are DELICIOUS!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Without getting overly philosophical, it's somewhat silly to label a food item as good or bad without looking at the individuals needs and without considering the diet as a whole.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You need to read the label on anything you plan to eat. Some are indeed a candy bar with some low grade protein added (Soy Lecithin)

They are pricey but I started eating Quest protein bars.

Depending on the flavor they are 200 calories, 20g protein, 20-25g Carbs, but 15-20g of fiber.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love Pure Protein bars. 19-20 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar. :)

These are amazing. Because the sugar content is so low, also muscle milk is pretty low in sugar also.
    I eat protein bars and powder all day everyday just to get in what I need.

I was eating these as they are inexpensive and at Costco, but gave them up as they have just way too many ingredients in there.
  • reneealyse
    reneealyse Posts: 100
    Options
    I eat Horleys Carb Less protein bars. 184cals, 3g fat, 5g carb, 4g sugar. Taste great and full me up. I usually workout at the gym first thing in the morning but on Wednesdays I have a class at the gym after work instead so I have a protein bar as a late afternoon snack to get me through the class. I would be too hungry otherwise! They're also good to carry in your bag and eat when you crave a choc bar.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahaha