Frustrated & Angry - Science and Math of WL Seems Untrue

Options
poeco76
poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
I hate that I am going to be this person, but I think everyone needs help now and again... so <sigh> here I go. I will first state that my number one goal (truly) is to be healthy and not focus solely on weight loss. That said, I am tired of being the "fat kid" that I have been my entire life (even now in my mid-30s), and I currently have an extra person that needs to go (literally) from my body. While I understand some people are in denial about what they consume, I know every bite that enters my body by measuring and counting. I've never been a snacker (even as large as I am), or a nibbler, but I do my best to eat 3 reasonable meals every day (even before MFP). Do I eat perfectly? Absolutely not. But I am so tired of reading about people saying that it's just calories in vs calories expended. I know for a fact that isn't the case for me. I've looked at BMR calories (should be consuming 1861), I know what MFP says I should be eating to lose (about 1450), but none of it is true.

For the last month, I have battled back and forth with the same 3 pounds. I lose them and I gain them repeatedly, without changing anything I'm doing (I vary my exercises, but not changing caloric intake as a whole). I have been logging through MFP for about 10 weeks now. The first month I dropped 21 pounds and was so excited. I knew that the quick losses were due to starting fresh, and that it would slow from that point, but to have lost only 3.5 pounds in the last 6 weeks is absurd. I eat between 1450-2000 calories a day (generally eating between 1600-1800) and I burn 2200 calories 2 times per week, and about 400-1000 calories 3 days a week (the other two days a week are generally rest days, so I don't record any minimal exercise I do). I vary my calories from day to day because in the past I have found that eating consistent calories every day causes me not to lose. I understand that for many people this may seem like a lot of calories to be eating, but I'm also not looking to drop 3-5 pounds a week, only to have it come back on quickly. I've lost weight in the past quickly, but this requires me to eat 1000 calories a day or less, and I don't think it's reasonable for me to maintain that for life. Not to mention that it makes me incredibly weak for working out.

While I understand that losing 24.5 pounds in 10 weeks is very average, and some would be thrilled with that, what is frustrating to me is that all of it was lost in the first four weeks... not to mention that I easily have over 100 lbs to lose (and then some). I am angry because the supposed "science and math" of all of this simply isn't true. If it was, I would easily be dropping at least a pound each week.

I have not lost any inches either, which just seems insane to me. At least a loss in measurements would make me feel as though something was happening. I have been to the doctor who has told me that he "wishes his other patients where as healthy as me." Which, of course, just aggravates me more. My blood work is all great... yet I am still a fat blob. It's great to know that I'm not dying, but com'on... this just seems so unfair. I like being active and I always do my best when working out - or in any activity for that matter.

I find myself getting angry with weight loss tv shows that perpetuate the image that anyone who is overweight or obese is consuming mass amounts of food and not doing anything. Even prior to MFP I was active and didn't eat 3 cheeseburgers at lunch time. I'm angry because I don't feel that I have ate to justify my weight. I am angry at my parents for cursing me with bad genetics, and I'm frustrated that I seem to be alone in this boat.

I'm not giving up on anything because I know that regardless of my actual weight, I need to not over-consume but rather to fuel my body, but I am at a loss as far as what to do. I am a strong woman - tough and able to take on the world... but even tough women turn in to crying little girls when they work hard and don't see results. I know that no one likely has an answer for me, but I appreciate just being able to vent. Hopefully, it will help me carry on with the day and release the frustrations I am feeling.

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    K. Here's the deal for me. My family has a slow metabolism. That's it in a nutshell. My son has my build and even though he watches what he eats he will always be a big guy unless he eats 1600 or less a day. Seriously. And that's with exercise.

Me, I eat 1200 a day to maintain weight of about 140 (exercising 3 - 5 times a week). Right now I eat 1000 to loose an average of .5 - 2 lb a week with 6 days a week of me busting my *kitten* exercising. Am I happy about it, no. Does "eating back my calories" work. No. God no. I'd friggin' look like the good year blimp. I tried something similar and gained 10 pounds in a month. Devastating to me since it took 2.5 months for it to come off.

So, I feel your pain - sort of. I've never had to loose 100 lbs but that's because I was anorexic much of my life.

Here's what I think. Talk to your doc. Talk to your dietatician. Read up. I eat a lot of "fat blockers". I take vitamins every day. I exercise 3 times a day - 2 small jaunts and one big cardio moment. I do things all through the day to try to keep my metabolism high (tighten and release my *kitten* more times during the day than I can say - butt dancing to music - try it =), tighten my muscles at stop lights, walk from the farthest corner of the parking lot, etc.). My doc says 1000 cals a day is fine especially since my blood pressure is down, my diabetes is under control, my cholesterol isn't nearly as high, and my energy is up. Also, I do prescribe to snacking. I eat 6-8 almonds 3 times a day (sugar regulator). Also, I drink a boatload of green tea. And finally, get a blood test. You might have a thyroid issue. My dad did and it made weight loss near to impossible. If you do have a thyroid (or other) issue, I know that there is a type of seaweed that can help with that.

Don't give up. Keep looking around. There might be something you find that will help. Even if you don't, great job on the first leg. {{{{{HUG}}}}}}