Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

FRUSTRATED :/

I'm still relatively new to MFP - been on here for just over a month. The food log (and phone app) have made me aware of what I was putting in my mouth for the first time in my life. I know.....at 41, I probably should have paid attention earlier....but it's a start. For that first month, things were rocking right along. I lost 12 lbs - averaging about 2-3 lbs a week. Suddenly, things have come to a SCREECHING halt. 8 days and no movement whatsoever. MFP did prompt me to recalculate daily calorie goal when I lost the first 10 - so now goal is 1220 a day. (down just slightly from 1280). I see the notes on here about eating more calories, but haven't been able to wrap my head around that when the 1220-1280 goal was working so well at the start. I'm working through some knee problems due to a fall - but getting back into walking and golf (finally). Just frustrated and venting right now....

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    2-3 pounds per week is a lot of weight loss. You want to average about a pound per week. You are correct, you probably need to increase the caloric intake - just be smart about where you are pulling those extra calories from.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Thanks. I guess I didn't realize how wide of a range of calorie intake would still generate weight loss. Changing the goal on here from 2lbs a week to 1lb a week is a 300 calorie swing in recommendation. For the first month, I tried to stick to the recommendation like it was carved in stone, and stressed out if I was off by 100cal. I don't know why I find this so confusing :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    2 - 3 lbs. a week is a lot of weight. That's a nice amount to get you started but don't plan on that being the normal. Don't forget to use the tape measure too. The scale isn't the only measure of success in reaching your fitness goals.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    I had the same problem. I lost 10lbs in my first month at 1500 calories. I dropped to 1300 calories and nothing happened. I have since increased back to 1500 and see weight loss already.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    I am in my 3rd week, and durning the first week at was about 3 lb drop, second week started with another (7/14/2012) with another lb melting, however since last Tuesday there has been no movement down regardless of daily average of 356 under my callorie goal
  • TheTallMan
    TheTallMan Posts: 23 Member
    Yeah I don't know if you should shoot for 2-3 pounds a week. What you lost may have been water weight, which comes off easily, now you might be getting into the hard stuff. That will take more work, eat right and exercise regularly, you'll start taking that stuff off no problem.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    You will lose more in the beginning..... a lot of water weight. Maybe increase your calories. Do it slowly though. Start with increasing by 100-200 calories and see how it goes. Just make sure they are healthy fresh choices.. not too much processed foods. also, measure yourself and take pics. They usually help you see your progress more than a scale. Good luck :wink:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    If you were eating a lot of processed, unhealthy foods before you we're probably also eating a lot of sodium, and hence holding a lot of water weight. Just by making a few more healthy choices, you will drastically reduce that sodium and lost a lot of water weight at first.

A 2 lb loss per week is quite high, unless you are severely obese which I don't think is the case looking at your picture. 1 lb a week is fairly reasonable, but the closer you get to your goal that will change. The smaller you get the harder it is to keep losing weight, don't forget that.

You've already done very well for just a month. Stick with it and don't give up now. Think of all the hard word you've done, you don't want to throw that away. I want you to congratulate you for getting started. It doesn't matter that it took you a while to come around, the right time to start is when you feel ready! You've made the first step, not just keep going with it.

While you're recovering from your injury see if there is ANY kind of exercise you can do, anything will help. Even if you just sit on your couch and do bicep curls, it will help. I have a resistance band that I use to do a variety of arm strengthening exercises while I watch TV at night. I bet you could probably do something like that. You might try and search out some other MFP buds that are also in recovery and can't do much, they can probably share some good ideas with you. I find it really helps to have friends in similar situations with similar goals.

In the mean time try and find some new healthy recipes and eat as "clean" as possible- stay away from the processed foods (especially processed grains), starches (like potatoes) and focus on eating lots of lean meat and fish, veggies and fruits.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    I sure appreciate all of the feedback! I'm quickly learning what a great community MFP is. I am going to try upping the calories a bit - the 2lbs a week and 1220 calorie goal was probably way too aggressive. @Kelsey - you're right....not severly obese. My 63lb overall goal would put me right within target range for height and age. I was trying to get myself on a schedule to be down 20 by a big meeting in mid june, hence the 2lbs per week. Need to let go of targets that revolve around others and just make it consistent, sustainable habit changing and progress.

MRI on the knee tomorrow - of course, once I finally suck it up and schedule something to have it looked at, it gets a little better. Was able to walk at least a bit the last couple of days without paying the price for hours afterwards. (Golfing last weekend and carrying clubs was a mistake though - need to work back up to that!)

Thanks again for the insight and support.