Gluten and Celiac

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
I just attended a Webinar on Gluten-Free and Celiac. Could have been much better, a bit boring and didn't give as much info as I would have liked but a few highlights I thought were interesting.

Oh, and May is Celiac Awareness month

1 in 133 have Celiac, the numbers have doubled every 15 years since 1974. (A rise has occurred in all autoimmune diseases)

Gluten sensitivity affects an additional 6%

Gluten is actually two proteins: gliadin and glutenin

Improvement of symptoms for Celiacs upon changing their diet occurs in days but a healed intestine takes 3-6 months in children and years in adults.

They didn't discuss causes as much as I would like.

Replies

• MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I thought Celiac disease was genetic....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I bet it's caused by grains. The same thing that killed the Mayan civilization and plagued us all with disease.

I'm trolling btw.

Glad you enjoyed the seminar. Do you have Celiac disease?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, my FIL got Celiac after taking a certain medicine for his foot.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I thought Celiac disease was genetic....

It can be. It can also be triggered by things like surgery and traumatic events. I don't know exactly how it works.

What kind of information were you (the OP) looking for?
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I ended up with Celiac Disease after a really nasty gastrointestinal bug from Mexico.

And after sorting out my diet, I was feeling 100% better within days
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I have a very bad rash that comes and goes. I recently became aware of the possible association between it and Celiac's Disease. Apparently, it is called Dermatitis Herpetformis - http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/whatisceliacdisease/a/DermatitisHerp.htm. And yes, I did go to the doctor, but as the rash comes and goes, it was gone when my appointment rolled around. I've battled it for years, and cutting out gluten appears to be working well to make the rash "go". Yay!

I have no clue what this means beyond eliminating this bothersome and painful rash.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wasn't looking for exact info per se, just thought it would be more informative in general.

I don't have Celiac but I do believe I am grain sensitive.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Celiac is an autoimmune disease. You're body thinks the gluten is an invading pathogen and it sets off an immune response, causing inflammation in the intestines.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ironically, gluten is one of the few things my immune system does NOT attack.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into going on a wheat free diet. I eat a lot of gluten free products and I am looking for the benefits of what that will do for my health. When I saw a list of things that are affected by gluten, such as depression, joint pain, etc, and I had about 8 of the 10 things, I thought I'd give it a try. Learning Learning Learning!!