First time running/running a 5k question

Options
hfzimmerman
hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
So, I'm currently 255 pounds. I've never run in my life except for maybe when I was a little kid but I've been asked to participate in a 5k run for suicide prevention in August. I would like to do it because its something close to me. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

Replies

• missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to run it, check out the couch to 5k plan, 9 weeks (I think) will have you running a 5k.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do not know your fitness level but I would start by walking 5K then add some slow running intervals
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Exactly what she said. It's tough but the key is to take it slow. It's not a sprint. Just take your time and you'll get there :)
    Good luck!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yes - search for the couch to 5k program and follow that - this seems to be a very successful program.

I haven't used the program as I joined a local run group and they helped me with preparing for a 5K - since then I ahve run 3 of those and I plan to run my first half marathon this weekend.

Good luck!!
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lookup the Couch 2 5k program.

I download an app on my phone and it's great. It's an 8 week course designed for first time runners to run a 5k

I'm doing my first 5k Monday. I've never been a runner before and I'm currently running 1.5 miles at a time. BTW I'm at 258 pounds currently.

Good Luck!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is great! I started off my running that way, but then I got bored, so now I just slowly jog for a mile and try to make my time better each time. You can do it!
  • sspurgeon
    sspurgeon Posts: 7
    Options
    I started couch to 5k a week ago. It is a free app and talks you through a program to get you ready. It only takes 9 weeks to be ready to run it says. You can do it!
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Buy some nice support running shoes.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Another vote for C25k here, I was never a runner and started C25k at 250lbs.. just starting week 4 and it's going great.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    C25K! Do it! I am on week 7 and loving it!! Running my first 5k in June.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Start practicing now. Get out 3x per week and build gradually. I started running with a clinic about 10 weeks before my first race. We started running 2kms at 1:1 (1min run, 1 min walk). Each week we added an extra minute and/or extra distance. Now we are running 5km at a 10:1 ratio...

For race day:

Don't do anything new the week before the race. Don't wear new clothes. Don't go for a massage until AFTER the race. Basically don't do anything that you or your body isn't used to. You don't want to shock your body or wear anything uncomfortable.

Make sure to do 20-30mins of a warm up before the race. Some light jogging, followed by light stretching.

Don't wear too many layers. Your body temp will rise at least 10 degrees so if it is 20 degrees out, then it will feel like 30. So dress lightly.

DO NOT run someone else's race. Early in a race, you instinctively want to match the pace of those around you (after all, who wants to be dropped?). But when you let someone else dictate your race pace, it's easy to ignore your body's signals and run too fast too soon. Have a pacing plan before you start, then stick to it.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yep, c25k is the way to go. i started doing it in jan last year at 230lbs. it's totally doable.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    C25K grad here- it's a wonderful way to get started running.

Get some good shoes- go to a running store and get fitted. It will help alot.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    C25K will get you there with a safe and effective training plan. Just remember to stick to the plan, don't push yourself harder than it tells you to, and don't worry about speed at this point. Until you've been running for a long time, and have dropped some of the weight, just work on building up the endurance that the program will give you.

I started C25K two years ago and ran my first half-marathon two days ago. It's amazing what it can do for you!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of C25K and love it! I struggled to run 2 minutes when I started, but this week I'm running 12 minute intervals and I feel like I could run a lot longer. I've discovered that I actually love running!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is a great program. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move on.

Invest in some running shoes. A specialty running store can analyze your gait and recommend shoes to fit your feet and your style of running.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! If it's for charity, especially, and especially one that is close to you.

Couch to 5K works for tons of people, but really, all you need to do to start is get properly fitted for good running shoes. They should look at your bare feet, they should watch your stride, etc. Then just start. If you start out by running slowly 30 seconds and then walking the rest, that is fine. Just run 45 seconds the next day :)

I run quite a bit, feel free to add me if you want a friend to bounce ideas and questions off of!
  • karagaddy
    karagaddy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Another vote for C2k program. I was never a runner either but I started the C25K and I'm on week 8 and I am running 2.5 miles without stopping. I am almost there. Its an excellent program I have read a lot of success stories about it. I am proof as well. Make sure you get a pair of good running shoes. Good luck to you!
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information. I currently do an hr at least of zumba 5 days a week and 30day shred everyday on day 3 of level 2. I also have asthma that's usually induced by excess exercise but I like to push myself anyways.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!