Food Diaries

Options
Fluxx2009
Fluxx2009 Posts: 71 Member
Hey guys! I was just wondering why more people don't share their food diary? I'm relatively new to MFP and most of my friends are people from my area and the majority of them have private diaries.

I share mine because it doesn't matter to me one way or the other and maybe someone will get an idea from my diary, even though it is rather repetitive.

So tell me, do you share or not and why?

Feel free to friend me :)

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I love being nosey and checking out other people's diaries. I figure they wouldn't have them open if they minded me looking. It's great for finding inspiration. That's the reason why mine is also open.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    MINE is open, i feel if i over do anything and have a bad day i dont hide it. somehow having it open seems more likely to keep me on track. But yes i like to be nosey.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be closed.
    However, a couple of months ago, I started seeking advice on exercise calories and such so made it locked with a password (which I only gave to one of my MFP friends) but now have it open to my friends.

If I need advice on anything and if anyone wants to see my diary to offer advice or get ideas from myself, I welcome friend requests :smile:
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would bet a lot of people don't realize when they set up an account that the default setting is private. For a more personal perspective, I just joined and mine is locked. I may open it up to friends at some point when I'm a little more comfortable with this site and system. And I know that right now I'm more likely to be really honest and record everything (good or bad) when I'm the only one who sees it. Again, that may change when I'm a little more comfortable here.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. I have no problem with sharing mine. Also, I really like seeing my friends' diaries, so I can get new ideas for meals / snacks.
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I signed up the default was set to private I didn't realize until I asked a question on the board and was told my diary wasn't open... it's wide open now
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I share mine. I get a lot of positive feed back from sharing with friends.....And i don't care who sees what i eat or how often....I think someone may get inspirational meal ideas..I know i do...

16544443.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    NO one would want to follow mine... but I will open mine up...
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Mine is open! It helps me be accountable and I like searching other peoples' for ideas.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough when I opened mine up I suddenly became less diligent about logging. Not sure why - it wasn't like I was eating embarrassing stuff and therefore didn't want to log it. I just...I don't know...wasn't as good about it. So, I closed mine again. Maybe once I get in a really good rhythm I'll open it back up again and see what happens.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to the public bc I have nothing to hide. I'm just as human as anyone else. When I ate out more I kept it closed because I was embarrassed by my lack of self-control (not the quantity I ate but the lack of quality). The accountability of an open diary helps me make better choices.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It drives me CRAZY when my friend's diaries are private! I don't know why... it just does.
  • chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would bet a lot of people don't realize when they set up an account that the default setting is private. For a more personal perspective, I just joined and mine is locked. I may open it up to friends at some point when I'm a little more comfortable with this site and system. And I know that right now I'm more likely to be really honest and record everything (good or bad) when I'm the only one who sees it. Again, that may change when I'm a little more comfortable here.

I agree completely! I'm honest because if I need to cheat, nobody can see that 280 of my calories Saturday were from a Snickers bar.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because I came on this site for helpful suggestions and unless people can see what you are eating they can't give you considered advice. Also, if your diary is private then how honest are inclined to be??
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Until now I had no idea mine was set to private. I've opened mine up, but I can see the appeal of setting it to private or just viewable to friends. There are a lot of judgmental people out there in the world and I prefer to give them as little ammunition against myself as possible.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mine use to be open, now it's closed. I have closed it because there are many people on here that feel it is their way or the highway. I believe what works for me may not work for someone else. I lost someone because I didn't eat 2500 calories a day and to me that is just ridiculous. I was feeling gulty as I was putting in my calories for the day and never wanted to hit complete because of what people would say. I am losing and in really good shape and I was sick of people saying things about eating too little because I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because once a while back someone asked if they could look at it. I don't really care if anyone looks at it or comments on it.
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I think everyone should be able to benefit from everything on this site.
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    Mine's open because I think there's no use me trying to give people advice about what to eat if i'm too embarrassed to share my own! I like seeing other's diaries and getting meal ideas, too :)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I share mines because I like being berated for eating cookies and ice cream!

No, but seriously mine is open because a lot of my friend do draw ideas of what to eat from it. Overall, I am repetitive because I’m single with no kids, but still poor and don’t get food stamps. Therefore, my shopping budget is limited. However, I do change it up every now and again and make different food matches.