grilled corn on the cob

Options
JimieLou
JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
Ok, so my boyfriend and I decided it was time to get a BBQ grill. I really want grilled corn on the cob. I've had it a few times before but I don't know how to make it. Can someone tell me what I need to do with it please.
Also, if you've got any stellar grilling recipes you wanna share, pass them along too please!

Replies

• LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    My husband and I grill ours by leaving it in the husk and wrapping it in foil. You could also put it straight on the grill while still in the husk. I don't like my corn getting burnt and the foil prevents that and keeps it from drying out!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    mmm. i want corn on the cob!!!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I just put it on the grill without the husk, I like the roasted corn. I dont add a thing to it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Soak it, husk on, in salted water. Then throw it on the grill. The soaking will steam it nicely.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Soak it, husk on, in salted water. Then throw it on the grill. The soaking will steam it nicely.

I will definately be trying it this way ;)
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I make it, but I really don't do anything special. I just pull back the husk (without removing it) and remove all the corn silk. I brush it in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (or whatever other seasonings you like). Throw it on the grill and cook it for about 30 minutes (turning occasionally).
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    lots of people cook it in the shuck, but i don't know how to do that. i shuck it, rub a little margerine and wrap it up tight in tin foil. throw it on the grill for as long as you have - an hour or longer is just fine. delicious!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    2 ways to do it. Leave in the husk and soak in water for about 30 minutes. (salt water is nice, but bad for sodium!) This actually steams the corn.

I prefer it in a thinned out husk where the the husk burns away and the corn has some grill marks. Usually about 2 layers of husk.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I grill it without the husks. Brush on a mixture I create myself.

Olive Oil
    Butter
    Minced Garlic
    Spice Rub

Be careful of flareups when you bruch the oil on. Do Not use the oil if you are not grilling with coals. Gas grills will make the corn black from the gas heat.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I make it, but I really don't do anything special. I just pull back the husk (without removing it) and remove all the corn silk. I brush it in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (or whatever other seasonings you like). Throw it on the grill and cook it for about 30 minutes (turning occasionally).
    I like this too!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple recipes, Jimmielou . I've actually won a couple contests with the Raspberry Jalapeno Sauce. It goes great with Chicken and Pork. The Garlic Sauce is a great dipping sauce for Pork and lamb.

Raspberry Jalapeno Sauce
    • 1 Jar Raspberry Jam
    • 1 Bottle any brand BBQ Sauce
    • 1 Small Jar Beaver's Hot Jalapeno Mustard
    • 1 can Ortega Chopped Jalapenos (+ or - depending on your taste)
    • Fresh Chopped Jalapenos (You know your own Heat level)
    • 1/8 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    • Tablespoon Sesame Oil
    • Toasted Sesame seeds (a little goes a long way)
    I just mix, place in a pan and simmer together.

Peach Habanera BBQ Sauce
    • 1 Jar Peach Jam
    • 1 Small Can Peaches
    • 1 Bottle any brand BBQ Sauce
    • 1 Small Jar Habanera Mustard
    • 6 Habanera Chilies
    • 1/8 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    • 2 Medium Yellow Onions
    • 2 Tbsn Crushed Garlic
    • 2 Tbsn Fresh Grated Ginger
    Chop and sweat Onions in Olive Oil in large Pot.
    Add Can Peaches and simmer about 15 minutes. Whisk and break up peaches.
    Add remaining ingredients. Simmer. Remove from heat.

Add the Habaneras last. Chop and add a couple at a time. You can always add more, but it’s hard to remove them.

6 Habaneras seems perfect for the general masses. A few more could probably be added for the true aficionados.

Garlic Sauce Recipe

Blend the following ingredients:

• 20 to 25 cloves of garlic
    • 2 cups Canola Oil
    • 1/2 cup Sesame Seed Oil
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
    • Rosemary to taste
    • Pepper to taste
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband and I grill ours by leaving it in the husk and wrapping it in foil. You could also put it straight on the grill while still in the husk. I don't like my corn getting burnt and the foil prevents that and keeps it from drying out!

If you soak it in water in the husk for an hour before you throw it on the grlll, it doesn't burn. Just trim off any loose leaves and lop off the extra fringy tassel part at the top, soak and put it on the grill on high for just 20 minutes, turning a quarter turn every 5 minutes. Perfect every time!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I make it, but I really don't do anything special. I just pull back the husk (without removing it) and remove all the corn silk.

I used to do this too...save yourself the trouble! It's not necessary...the silk comes off nice and clean when you do the soaking and grilling in the husk method :)
  • HealthierMe2012
    Options
    Oh, gosh, it is so, so easy! Peel back the husk, but don't pull off. Remove the silk and then pull the husks back up around the corn. Put directly on the grill and cook for about 45 min to an hour (I like mine a little more grilled, so I leave it on for about an hour to hour and fifteen), turning every 15-20 minutes.

You can also squeeze some lime juice and cajun seasoning on the corn (just lightly) before pulling the husks back up and grilling. SO good!

Congrats on your grill! It's one of my favorite ways to cook!!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I make it two ways. Sometimes I peel the husk and throw it directly on the grill. Other times I'll wrap it in foil with butter and a little pepper inside of the husk (after pulling out the fiber in the husk) and grill it that way.

R.G. (AZ)
    P.G. (TX)
    S.M.ASCE
    Practicing Engineering Geology for 7+ years
    MFP Member 1+ year
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    We boil the corn in water like you would regulary cook it. Then wrap it up in aluminum foil with butter and cayenne pepper, or lime juice and salt and throw it on the grill for about 15 minutes.
  • kwjmom
    kwjmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks