Diet Soda

I went for a while not drinking soda of any kind, and my weight went down at a good rate. I have recently gone back to drinking diet soda, and the weight doesn't seem to be coming off as easily. I'm exercising the same and still watching what I eat, but the pounds seem to be stubborn and not want to leave. Does anyone know if the diet soda has anything to do with this? Thanks for the insight.

Replies

• I don't know the exact reason why, but I found this happened to me a few years ago when I was trying to lose weight. As soon as I cut out all soda, even diet, or anything sugary or artificially sweetened for that matter I dropped 40 lbs.
  • I'm only speaking from personal experience, but it seems for my body that it causes water retention and bloating. If I've been eating flawlessly, even carbonated water will do it. For me, sugar or artificial sweeteners = puff. Which is not to say I never have them. I just have to watch the amount, or be prepared for the result.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    I'm only speaking from personal experience, but it seems for my body that it causes water retention and bloating. If I've been eating flawlessly, even carbonated water will do it. For me, sugar or artificial sweeteners = puff. Which is not to say I never have them. I just have to watch the amount, or be prepared for the result.

Me too! and the aspertame in it caused horrible headaches.... but i am ADDICTED to diet mt. dew.... i use to drink 4-5 cans a day... im down to 1 or 2. and then water the rest of the day... its hard to cut back. :(
  • hoch5045
    hoch5045 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks for all the insight, let's hope I can figure it out.
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    they say, diet is just as bad as usual sodas, as at the end of the day its still sweet and they have to make it sweet somehow, so they put artficial 'sweetners' in them, so you might as well drink coke, instead of diet. thats my personal opinion :)
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    google it - it's pretty interesting :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I believe it is probably coincidence or water weight gain (masking progress). There's next to zero energy value in diet soda and as such it will not cause you to gain weight.

That's my opinion.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    I ran into this mistake 2 weeks ago. YAY diet pepsi no calories I can drink 4 cups full.
    I retained every drop I put in my body!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    i was so addicted to soda at one time and then switched to diet soda ..it does not help you in regard to living a healthier lifestyle. sodium and additives are bad for you. once in a rare moon i will drink it now with a ton of ice and i leave it at that. but now i am a water person. i drink a ton of water and usually iced water. i also recently tried decaff green tea with blueberry. its very refreshing and good for you too. i went to a fitness camp last year.. they supplied tons of water in huge canisters which always had fresh fruit in it . that wasnt so bad either . for me im happy with iced water most the time. put some lemon or lemon juice in it too if you can. you will reap many benefits from water and drinking it will be as easy as it once was to drink soda
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    My gramma always gave me Diet Coke. Now I'm addicted to it. She's a cruel mistress -- sometimes I'll leave her for a few month, then she entices me with her bubbly, caffeine goodness.

This is proving very very difficult to kick the habit for good. I know it's terrible for me to begin with (artificial sweeteners aside, even the caramel color is not good for our bodies)

There are developing bodies of research on WHY this makes you gain weight
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Ooh, interesting topic. I may have to trial this. Even though I love my pepsi max but I think I would love to be slim more!
  • FoodCop
    FoodCop Posts: 2
    So I am a Coke Zero/Diet Coke addict. The quicker you can quit the faster the weight will drop. Last year I went from 206 to 186 without soda in about 5 months...without soda. I started up again in the winter and shot straight back up. That was the only real change in anything I did. I am in the process of cutting back on my soda intake and am back down to 195 but working toward 185. I would say cut way back or cut it all out, it definitely has an effect. Good luck.