HELP ME STOP THIS TERRIBLE PATTERN PLEASE

Options

Replies

• JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Personal reasons really. I really want to be 120 pounds.. I used to be 122 pounds just earlier this year. I feel bad when I'm over 124.
    Why?

Why do you think?? I feel fat! I felt fat at 122 pounds. Why do you think I was still trying to lose weight?
    Goodness. Nosey guy is nosey.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    What's the difference in the 5lbs? Why are you so needy to get there?

For some people, 5 lbs is a lot. I don't know about the OP, but I know that for me 5 lbs makes a huge difference in how my clothing fits (and can mean not fitting into my jeans). :grumble:
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting in enough calories. That is why your body keeps doing this. I think you posted you eat 1200-1300 and exercise 2 hours a day. Are you eating your exercise calories or at least part of them back?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that your mind and your body are in disagreement. It sounds to me like your 2hr workout is burning off most, if not all, of the calories you are consuming...that means you are putting your body into starvation mode. That is why you eat everything you can get your hands on after losing the weight.

What should I do then, if when I eat more I gain weight and if I eat less I binge? Should I just maintain? :/

the instant weight gain you get is water and glycogen, it's not fat. When you undereat you use up your body's reserves of glycogen, and glycogen is stored with water in the body, so the initial weight losses on a starvation diet are all water/glycogen. Then as soon as you eat anything approaching a reasonable amount of calories for your body's needs, the first thing your body does is replenish your glycogen stores along with all the water, and yes you put on weight instantly, but *it's not fat*.

My sincere advice to you is to understand that it's not weight that counts when it comes to looking good, it's body composition (i.e. body fat percentage). Try to preserve your lean body mass. Healthy bones and muscles are heavier than unhealthy ones, and it's a good goal to try to be as heavy as you can while being a desired dress size. What you want is less body fat, what's going to make your body look good is healthy toned muscles and strong bones and general good health. The way you're currently going you'll be losing bone and muscle mass (which will slow your metabolism) while being continually frustrated by your desire to binge, which comes from not eating enough. If you continue in this cycle then you could be damaging your metabolism and setting yourself up for yo-yo dieting and fat gain later on.

You are really beautiful already, I don't think you need to do a lot to be honest, if you're not happy with how you look then maintaining your current dress size while toning up and eating properly is the way to go. You may put on weight, but *it's not weight that counts* some of the fittest most stunning looking women are actually a fair bit *heavier* than they look, e.g. they may be 130lb in reality but people take them for being 110 or 115 and refuse to believe that they're as heavy as they are, because they have healthy and strong (and well toned) muscles and bones and a low-normal body fat percentage, so they really look a lot lighter and fit into smaller dress sizes than some women who are actually lighter than them.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    She's saying 1700 period. Don't eat your exercise calories back, that number already includes them.
    Somethings I have found is to drink atleast one 16 oz glass of water when I'm feeling like that. Sometimes thirst acts like hunger, I start scavenging for food and I'm really just thirsty. After that I wait a little while, if I'm still hungry then I try eating something (specific snacks I have already decided on: almonds, cheese, fruit or veggies).

Yeah I drink water until I'm full, but my stomach still gets that burning feeling like Im hungry :(
  • stephmo86
    stephmo86 Posts: 45
    Options
    You should go to your doctor for a good food and exercise plan and a way to maintain a healthy weight.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options

For some people, 5 lbs is a lot. I don't know about the OP, but I know that for me 5 lbs makes a huge difference in how my clothing fits (and can mean not fitting into my jeans). :grumble:

Exactly!! Thank you!! That's 4% of my weight right there!
  • dianacom
    dianacom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. But, I found I had to cut the white starch, even whole wheat stuff. I eat more protein (a good portion of real meat) and NO starches and NO sugar and the cravings stay away. I do eat nuts, veggies and fruits. I use to be an emotional eater, but if I stay on this diet, I'm not emotional, I feel sooo much better and I don't crave. If I cheat, I takes a lot of will power and sometimes a couple of days to get back to where food is not controlling my life.

With that said-I'm with the other posters. If you are eating way under what your body needs, you are going to crave. So to answer you question "how do you stop the cravings" eat more, but cut the starch and sugar-more protein.
  • PhotographyChick
    PhotographyChick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would up your caloric intake. I definitely don't think you're eating enough for your activity level. 1200 is what you need JUST to be alive! Then add in all that work your body is doing that it needs fuel for! You're hungry, eat more, your body is obviously telling you something. Oh and eat healthier overall, reach for apples instead of chips, etc.

Also, your bmi at 5'6" and 125 is 20.2 that's actually at the LOW end of an average bmi. 120 puts you at 19.4 I think you might just be where your body wants you to be, whether you want to be lighter or not. It's a possibility.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    She's saying 1700 period. Don't eat your exercise calories back, that number already includes them.
    Somethings I have found is to drink atleast one 16 oz glass of water when I'm feeling like that. Sometimes thirst acts like hunger, I start scavenging for food and I'm really just thirsty. After that I wait a little while, if I'm still hungry then I try eating something (specific snacks I have already decided on: almonds, cheese, fruit or veggies).

Yeah I drink water until I'm full, but my stomach still gets that burning feeling like Im hungry :(

I would say the same then if you're still struggling. Your DR might be able to better help you. They would be able to help you tailor an eating and exercise plan better then some of us since they go to school for that kind of thing. You could also have something you need to check out, I know someone in one of my classes is having a similar problem and her DR is running some blood work for her now. I'm not saying there's something wrong, but your DR might be able to give you the best insight to what could need work or fixing to make this stop.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people eat because of emotions or boredom. I would never discourage someone from getting help if they are suffering from an eating disorder, but I don't think that emotional eating is a clear sign of one.

You are right, but in this case the OP has admitted in other threads to having an ED, throwing her food up, and having mood issues from not eating enough food. It is pretty clear.

To the OP, you need to seek professional help. Continually seeking attention and help from strangers on the internet is not productive to your health. There are actually some people here offering you good advice, but you don't seem to care.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Exactly!! Thank you!! That's 4% of my weight right there!

I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs. I've been 120 lbs and down to 115 lbs, and I can tell you if you're moderately tall (I think you mentioned you were 5'6") those 5 lbs really won't make much difference in terms of looks or the fit of your clothing. I think if you are shorter, they might.

Anyway, it sounds like you are simply hungry. I'm double your age and nowhere near as active and I eat, on average, 2000 calories a day to maintain 125 lbs. If I had a deep desire to get down to 120 lbs, I would simply lower my calories to about 1600 per day for a month or two.

I've been on low calorie diets only a few times in my life and I always end up gaining back the weight I lost because I was hungry. Eat more -- the weight will come off (and without the binges).

Good luck to you!
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    it seems to me that your mind and your body are in disagreement. It sounds to me like your 2hr workout is burning off most, if not all, of the calories you are consuming...that means you are putting your body into starvation mode. That is why you eat everything you can get your hands on after losing the weight.

What should I do then, if when I eat more I gain weight and if I eat less I binge? Should I just maintain? :/

the instant weight gain you get is water and glycogen, it's not fat. When you undereat you use up your body's reserves of glycogen, and glycogen is stored with water in the body, so the initial weight losses on a starvation diet are all water/glycogen. Then as soon as you eat anything approaching a reasonable amount of calories for your body's needs, the first thing your body does is replenish your glycogen stores along with all the water, and yes you put on weight instantly, but *it's not fat*.

My sincere advice to you is to understand that it's not weight that counts when it comes to looking good, it's body composition (i.e. body fat percentage). Try to preserve your lean body mass. Healthy bones and muscles are heavier than unhealthy ones, and it's a good goal to try to be as heavy as you can while being a desired dress size. What you want is less body fat, what's going to make your body look good is healthy toned muscles and strong bones and general good health. The way you're currently going you'll be losing bone and muscle mass (which will slow your metabolism) while being continually frustrated by your desire to binge, which comes from not eating enough. If you continue in this cycle then you could be damaging your metabolism and setting yourself up for yo-yo dieting and fat gain later on.

You are really beautiful already, I don't think you need to do a lot to be honest, if you're not happy with how you look then maintaining your current dress size while toning up and eating properly is the way to go. You may put on weight, but *it's not weight that counts* some of the fittest most stunning looking women are actually a fair bit *heavier* than they look, e.g. they may be 130lb in reality but people take them for being 110 or 115 and refuse to believe that they're as heavy as they are, because they have healthy and strong (and well toned) muscles and bones and a low-normal body fat percentage, so they really look a lot lighter and fit into smaller dress sizes than some women who are actually lighter than them.

Thanks so much!! This helps a lot (:
    I was always wondering about water retention and I was sort of figuring that.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

This is the best post on the subject in this thread.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat a lot of carbs I would crave more and more and more carbs. Its a strange cycle having to do with blood sugar and glycemic response. So keep away from the junk food and bad carbs. And get plenty of protein along with good nutrition and that will help with cravings too.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I overexercise, I have a tendency to binge eat more, whereas if I limit my cardio, I tend to be able to control it much better.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You are 5'6" 18 yo 125# girl who works out 2 hours a day. Even if I calculate you as moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days a week), your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2207.74 calories per day. If you are only eating 1200-1400 calories per day, then you are trying to acheive a 2 lb per week loss. Try eating 1700 calories per day (don't eat your exercise...I know I will be flogged for saying this, but I ALREADY factored in your activity level). You may gain the first couple of weeks, but then it WILL drop off.

Even if you figure your BMR at sedentary, you still have a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) of 1709.22 calories per day. That means if you are eating 1200 calories, you would need to eat your exercise calories back every day.

Balance it yourself, but you really should be eating more.

I do this for a living, so I see people all the time who fight the "Eat more to lose", but once they finally do it, they really do start losing

My bmr says 1,300-1,400... How did you get 1,700?? :o

My estimation is that MFP has calculated you with a sedentary (no activity) lifestyle with a 1 lb per week loss. I calculated your BMR with your activity level putting you on a very cautious 2207 calories per day burned though simply existing and your workouts. One pound of fat is equivalent to approx 3500 calories, so if you divide 3500 by 7 that gives you a 500 calorie per day defecit.

Now something that was not mentioned at first but has since come up since my initial post is your binge/purge cycle. If that is the case, you may very well have crapped out your metabolism and you would be better suited to consult with a dietition who specializes in ED. I simply counsel nutrition and weight loss in my job, but I am not a certified nutritionist or dietician. While I am educated in this matter, I think you probably need a professional with more years of education than I have.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

This is EXCELLENT advice.

OP, please listen to this. What you're doing is seriously counterproductive to your long term goals. IF your goal is to be at a healthy weight for you, and achieve it in a safe and healthy manner, you need to feed your body, potentially a lot more. You may initially "gain weight" ( as explained above), but once your body has replenished its depleted resources, you will lose again, in a safe and sustainable manner.

If, as the poster above explained, your plan is to lower body fat while maintaining muscle mass, consider dropping all that cardio in favor strength training.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    I think a lot of people eat because of emotions or boredom. I would never discourage someone from getting help if they are suffering from an eating disorder, but I don't think that emotional eating is a clear sign of one.

You are right, but in this case the OP has admitted in other threads to having an ED, throwing her food up, and having mood issues from not eating enough food. It is pretty clear.

To the OP, you need to seek professional help. Continually seeking attention and help from strangers on the internet is not productive to your health. There are actually some people here offering you good advice, but you don't seem to care.

I totally care and I do my best to change and listen.
    I just always have relapses -__-