Elliptical vs Treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• RMac57
    RMac57 Posts: 4
    Options
    I get a super good sweat going on the elliptical , I do intervals and spend 45 minutes on it. That is 500 calories burned and my heart rate goes way up there. I also do running intervals on the treadmill and find it is way more difficult. I feel it in my legs while running (and ankles) , but find that I pay for it the next day or two . I don't feel sore after the elliptical. I think anything that makes you really move, and motivates you is good for you. For a break I do the stationary bike and do intervals on it as well. It works out the front of the legs, while the eliptical and treadmill work out the back. Hiking outdoors and geting in some good hills is awesome too.
  • CathyWraight
    CathyWraight Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diversity is the key. Do both, switch it up. Not only will you get different muscle groups working and conditioned, you'll also be less likely to get bored & fall off the wagon...or cardio machine, I guess. The treadmill can be harder on joints if you're significantly overweight but if you listen to your body (good burn vs. serious joint or soft tissue pain) you should know when enough is enough. Personally, I love the rowing machine.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    wanting to know as well
  • darly58
    darly58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was finding my feet going numb after about 15 mins on the treadmill, so I switched to the elliptical. Man, got my heart rate up more and it's more gentle on my bladder that's had two surgeries. Don't let it fool you that it's not a workout.
  • christina423
    christina423 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Both are good workouts. I agree that the Treadmill is harder on your body that the elliptical. Running can be hard especially if you are overweight. I am overweight and I find jogging hurts me more. Have you looked at Couch to 5K at all? It is a slow program designed to help you run. I can actually run two miles now... I stopped doing the program though until I loose a good 25 LBS so I dont hurt myself.

Try intervals... mix it up... you could do a walking hill on the treadmill... Both are goign to be good workouts....! :)