Advice on sugar intake from clean eaters.

2»

Replies

• gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Eat yogurt but not the additions to yoghurt. It is very easy to make your own plain probiotic yogurt, no preservatives, no added sugar and very good for you. You can use skimmed or semi skimmed UHT milk. Look it up on the internet - there are lots of instructions.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    I don't see why yogurt isn't clean-- I know lots of clean eaters who eat piles of greek yogurt. Yogurt in and of itself is fine, watch the added sugars.

Yeah, i was thinking that too - are people perhaps getting their "clean" and "paleo" confused?

at least in my case: no. commercial yogurt may (or may not) have added stabilizers which make it "unclean". I make my own yogurt. It's "clean" because I know what's in it.

edit: and greek yogurt is simply strained yogurt. I don't care for greek-style yogurt, but it's super easy to make: just add cheesecloth and something by which to hang it. Then use the whey from the yogurt in baking!

2nd edit: if you are weirded out by making your own yogurt (some people are) then just look for yogurt that lists milk & probiotic cultures as the ingredients. That's all that should be in yogurt.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Yougurt is considered clean if it is truely just that yogurt...

Once you start removing fat and go to low fat yogurt - sugars will go up because they replace the fat with sugar to have a better taste. If you buy the yogurt with fruit you are going to have a lot of sugar.

You also have to read the labels - look on the back of a yoplait yogurt container and see how many ingrediants there are....

If you want to keep yogurt in your diet my suggestion would be to switch to PLAIN greek yogurt - the yogurt should be thicker and provide more protien. ADD fresh (for frozen) berries to it to provide sweetness.

My personal opinon about sugar is sugar is sugar is sugar...even from fruit - while eating fruit you are also providing your body with other essential nutrient, minerals and fiber that sugar from say a candy bar won't provide. I personally do my best to limit fruit (and higher sugar veggies - I love me some squash and sweet potatoes) to 1-2 servings a day. Some fruits have higher sugars than others - Bananas and melons are highest in sugar per serving and berries have the lowest. Something else to think about is serving size - a typical apple now a days is not a serving - it is more like 1 1/2 - 2 servings - if you have ever seen them market "snack size" or "lunchbox" apples in the store - THAT is a serving. Or look at bananas you can have a huge banana or a smaller banana - you eat a huge banana and count it as one serving it could actually be 2 servings....