Runners: Need Your Help!

Options
I started running about two months ago (enjoy it btw), and I worked my way up to running three miles in one stretch. Then, about two weeks ago I got sick and had to take a week off. The problem is that ever since I've started working out again I can't seem to make myself run for longer then 15 minutes (1.5 miles). I know that it MUST be mental. I'm wondering, how do other people get past a problem like this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I started running about two months ago (enjoy it btw), and I worked my way up to running three miles in one stretch. Then, about two weeks ago I got sick and had to take a week off. The problem is that ever since I've started working out again I can't seem to make myself run for longer then 15 minutes (1.5 miles). I know that it MUST be mental. I'm wondering, how do other people get past a problem like this?

Thanks!

Do some interval training for a week or two and then when you go back to trying to run, say, 3 miles, you will most likely find you are fine.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Just have to push yourself a little further each time to get back to it. Next time run for 16 mins or 1.6 miles and so on until you get back to your goal. Or you can also run to the 1.5 miles and then walk two minutes then run again until you need to walk some more and repeat until you get back to the 3 mile mark.

For me, it really helps if I have a goal to work towards or a schedule to follow. After I reached my 5k, I started training towards a 10k, and then now I'm working towards a half marathon. You don't have to go that far, but you might look into some of the running training schedules to help motivate you or see if you can find a friend to run with that can encourage you to go further.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I realize this sounds like a ridiculous suggestion, but have you changed your route? I am doing Couch to 5k and I kind of hit a wall recently. Changed my route and powered through it. I have no idea, but it seems that just changing it up a little helped me push through.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about changing my route/ running my route backwards as well. Because I know all the mile markers now whenever I get to a new mark I always think: "I've been running FOREVER and I'm only a mile in". Thanks for the suggestion.
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Not to be snarky, but one step at a time. Most of us have been there.

Try adding/changing your podcast. New songs may take your mind away.
    Try not wearing your watch and changing your route.
    Go farther than half way on your route before you turn around.