KILLER SODIUM!!!

Jessicaruby
Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
i look at all labels before buying an item and make sure it has the lowest sodium possible( and that all other macros are good too). i buy low sodium or no salt added when possbile.... i am always under 2500 (except for if i have a cheat day) but my trainer wants me to be under 1200mg a day!!! :noway: i dont see how to do this unless i only eat meat and veggies. i dont use any seasoning with sodium either... my sodium comes from cottage cheese, salsa, some meat, but all healthy foods...what else can i do...

Replies

• CathyWraight
    CathyWraight Posts: 4 Member
    Why does your trainer want you sodium so low? Do you have a medical condition that requires it? If you're working out regularly, are in good health, and not going crazy on adding sodium to foods or buying foods with tons of sodium, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. If your salsa is adding a lot of sodium, try making it at home so you can control it better. My weight trainer told me not to get hung up on sodium at all unless I was having specific problems.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    I have to admit, I saw the thread title and pictured a huge salt block running at you with a knife.

But yeah.....why so low? Do you drink enough water/liquids to flush it out?
  • Jessicaruby
    i am training for a figure competition and this is what they recommened i guess :indifferent:
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    I just checked mine. It's often that low. I eat steel cut oats for breakfast, veggies and pb for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks are greek yogurt, berries, nuts, cottage cheese, sometimes sunflower seeds (which are salted really the only thing), sometimes dried fruit.
  • Jessicaruby
    I just checked mine. It's often that low. I eat steel cut oats for breakfast, veggies and pb for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner. Snacks are greek yogurt, berries, nuts, cottage cheese, sometimes sunflower seeds (which are salted really the only thing), sometimes dried fruit.

i eat alot of the same things but it appears you eat a bit less then me. i consume about 1900-2000 cals a day. more food = more sodium :grumble:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I would be passing out at that level! Anything below about 2200mg a day, and I start having low blood pressure issues.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Well you're training for a competition... Expect to have to do more. Sodium will cause water retention which will soften your definition and look. (I am assuming anyway from my little knowledge.) You are shooting for a hard task, going to require sacrifice. Every day, this would be kind of foolish IMO. But for what you're doing, no pain no gain I guess.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    peeps medically restricted or over a certain age should keep it around 1500 unless further instructed by a doctor (so I've read) - sounds like you have it under control, so I wouldnt sweat it too much. just keeping a bit lower a week or two before your competitions might be enough to shed any extra fluid you are carrying, that and a lower water intake during that time. Just make sure you arent to the point of dehydration.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    You are setting yourself up for failure and severe cramping/electrolyte imbalances/dehydration if you are an athlete/training intensely and restricting sodium. A consistent amount of sodium will not cause water retention/softness...it's just another ignorant bodybuilder myth. Most people have no clue how kidneys actually work