Not new but returning!

Options
I've been a member of MFP since Octoberish. I joined because some people in my office were doing a Biggest Loser Competition and I just had to join in on the fun. As we got started my competitive side came out and I went 150% on my journey to weight loss. I lost 25lbs. in 8 weeks and was hard core about what foods I put in my mouth, the amount of exercise I did each day, and counting my calories. It was to the point where I wasn't enjoying the hard work I was doing. As soon as the 8 week competition was over (right around Christmas of course) I slacked off and allowed myself to eat whatever was in my path. I've only been able to keep 7lbs off which is utter discouragement. I've got a lot of weight to lose and I am determined to get it off and go at a more reasonable pace!

Replies

• planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Welcome back. Christmas and really any holiday are so tough! This past year, I knew I was obese, but wasn't sure how much. I got on the scale in early winter and saw I was around 290. I had been relieved because I was worried I got up to 300. I decided to start a diet program after the holidays. Well, after many weeks and the holiday, I got on the scale some time in mid-January and was 312! An all new high for me. I was so devastated. So I know how that can be. I didn't want it to get any worse, so I got on Weight Watchers online and walked on rare occasion.

I lost some, but it was slow going. It probably wasn't until I got on here in April, combining it with Points tracking for Weight Watchers that I really started having the pounds come off. Since you've been here before, you probably know how helpful it is to have the food diary and supportive message board users. Being on here every day is what makes me keep going because I have the right tools and I know I'm not alone in this.

Anyway, good luck to you...you've made the right choice. :flowerforyou:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I was off the wagon for a while myself; had kept off about 3 lbs of the 20 some that I lost. When I came back I decided to change my attitude about health and fitness. I'm viewing them as unending with no "deadline" or end goal really. So far it's been much easier, and I feel so much better. I even learned how to bike ride with a multi-speed bike (it's becoming something I can't wait to do every day).

I'm glad you came back. :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I can totally understand where you are coming from as far as the competitive streak goes. We started a Biggest Loser contest at my gym on June 1st and at first I wasn't really into it. Now I am exercising like crazy and watching calories. I was hoping to lose 29 pounds (10%) by July 31st but as of last Wednesday I had "only" lost 18 so I doubt I'll make it to 29 in 2 weeks. :yawn:
    Still it has been interesting to see how much I can do. I had lost 27 pounds before the contest started so I was already learning new choices and being more active.
    Anyhow, :flowerforyou: Welcome and Good Luck on the rest of your journey.
  • ragingtomato
    Options
    I just came back to MFP after almost a year. I lost a lot of weight last summer and basically stayed the same for this past year, but I've been doing a lot of unhealthy eating and getting into some bad habits lately, so I decided it was time to come back and really make myself look at every calorie I put in my mouth. I feel great about it, and I hope you do too! Good luck!!
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I can totally understand where you are coming from as far as the competitive streak goes. We started a Biggest Loser contest at my gym on June 1st and at first I wasn't really into it. Now I am exercising like crazy and watching calories. I was hoping to lose 29 pounds (10%) by July 31st but as of last Wednesday I had "only" lost 18 so I doubt I'll make it to 29 in 2 weeks. :yawn:
    Still it has been interesting to see how much I can do. I had lost 27 pounds before the contest started so I was already learning new choices and being more active.
    Anyhow, :flowerforyou: Welcome and Good Luck on the rest of your journey.

Hey, LJ Cannon. I just wanted to say that 18 pounds in 2 months is actually huge! I lose at most 1 1/2 pounds a week, which equals out to 7 1/2 pounds every 5 weeks. I eat right 99% of the time and exercise 4-5 times a week. I watch BL for inspiration only because it reminds me that I'm capable of much more than I would think. I see them doing all kinds of physical activity at weights heavier than me, so I know I can do it too. But they also work out 4-6 hours every single day and live off a max of 1500 calories, being provided with trainers and all the healthy food they need to make it work. But once they get home, the weight loss is much slower. So I wouldn't say it's realistic for most people to lose more than 10 pounds a month, much less 10 pounds a week like they do on the show. Pat yourself on the back for doing what you have done so far on your own. It's actually better than most people can do. :flowerforyou:
  • beanface25
    beanface25 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I've missed the positive encouragement from everyone!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    welcome back :flowerforyou: