This may start a war...

Options
jammiemd
jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
What do you all think of using Adapex (spelling)? With my statistics, 494 lbs 5 ft 3in, sedentary...good idea or bad idea? I would love to hear from someone who has actually experienced it...good or bad. It was suggested by my doctor but i've always been weary of taking any type of pill. What are the benefits? The down falls? How does it work?

Replies

• inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My sister and I both tried it and didn't like it because it made us feel funny. She experienced palpitations and just feeling very anxious and jittery. I had a similar experience and it made me nervous as I already have a heart condition and anxiety issues. We both stopped taking it pretty quickly. I do have a friend though, who lost a significant amount of weight while taking it and had no issues.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I take it. It is an appetite suppressant and works fine for me. I take 1/2 a pill a day. A full pill causes jitters for me.
  • BennettKaylee
    Options
    My gyno reccomended it.

My endrocrinolgist said no way.

My friend said that while on it, she felt great but as soon as she was off it, she became depressed, lazy, and almost couldn't do anything.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I've known two people on it and they had great results from the appetite suppressant point of view, but they couldn't sleep. :(
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine(Adapex) and tenuate together... LOVED THEM! I lost a total of 40lbs in 6months with these starting from 200lbs ending up at 160 11months following the birth of my daughter. (WITHOUT STRENUOUS EXERCISE... all I did was walk)

I now take tenuate if I am having a really 'hungry' day and feel that I won't be able to stay on track.

I've never had problems with supplements like these, they usually boost your energy levels and help your concentration which helps keep you on track!
    I say it's worth a shot! You can always stop taking something if you don't like it!
    If it's worth anything..... if I could find a doc to prescribe phentermine to me now... I would still be taking it!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I know you said your doctor recommended it.... but with high blood pressure I'd double-check that it's ok to be taking a diet pill.

Actually, is your diary accurate? Why do you need a diet pill when you aren't eating anywhere near your goal? Are you trying to eat even less than you are now? It doesn't look like you're getting much nutrition at all. Would it be possible for you to get an appointment with a nutritionist?
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know you said your doctor recommended it.... but with high blood pressure I'd double-check that it's ok to be taking a diet pill.

Actually, is your diary accurate? Why do you need a diet pill when you aren't eating anywhere near your goal? Are you trying to eat even less than you are now? It doesn't look like you're getting much nutrition at all. Would it be possible for you to get an appointment with a nutritionist?

^^^^ It doesn't matter how much you have to lose.... you still need to fuel your body right to lose in a healthy way!
    Unless the extremely low-cal diet is being supervised by a physician I think you should definitely see a nutritionist to get some ideas on how to eat more and still be able to keep your calories at a reasonable level.

I keep my calories at 1200 if i haven't exercised, and I eat SO SO SO much in a day.

If you want to take Phentermine because you still feel hungry, maybe try eating a bit more for a week or two first!
  • jammiemd
    jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...maybe I should do a little more research with the help of a nutritionist.