Busting Plateaus

Options
ivykivy
ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
We Busted Our Weight Loss Plateaus"
Our experts helped three women get the scale moving and drop their most stubborn fat
By Lorie A. Parch
http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100241751&gt1=31036

You ate better, exercised more, and watched with joy as your efforts were reflected in the descending numbers on the scale, until, that is, the movement just stopped. A weight loss plateau is undeniably frustrating, but it's also normal: In an analysis of 80 studies on dieters, researchers found that weight loss typically halts after 6 months, according to a report in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. And that stalling can last weeks, months, or even longer.

The Solution: We asked a team of experts—a nutritionist, a certified personal trainer, and a psychologist—to work with these three women for 8 weeks to get the scale moving again, fast. The experts pored over the women's diets, exercise regimens, everyday habits, and attitudes, then offered adjustments to their routines and new strategies to help them restart their fat-burning engines. Their advice can help you reach your weight-loss goals too.

The Experts

Diet: Lisa R. Young, Ph.D., R.D.: Adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and author of The Portion Teller Plan: The No-Diet Reality Guide to Eating, Cheating, and Losing Weight Permanently.

Exercise: Chris Freytag: Prevention's fitness columnist, creator of over a dozen fitness DVDs, and author of three books, including The 2-Week Total Body Turnaround.

Attitude: Ann Kearney-Cooke, Ph.D.: Psychologist specializing in body image, emotional eating, and weight; and author of Change Your Mind, Change Your Body: Feeling Good about Your Body and Self after 40.

"I broke a 4-year weight loss stall!"

Chrissy Brennan, 44

A three-time New York City Marathoner, Chrissy Brennan now finds it hard to remember the accomplished runner she once was. Her recent attempts at exercise and eating right are erratic, frequently falling victim to the long days at her high-stress marketing job. Having worked at health and fitness magazines for nearly a decade prior, Chrissy is well versed in weight loss: She's read the science on exercise and knows how to incorporate healthy foods, yet she's often overcome by cravings, especially at night. The result: a creeping gain of about 20 pounds and a years-long plateau.

Expert Strategies

Diet

"Chrissy eats pretty well during the day, but after work her diet falls apart," says Young. "She gets home late and grabs whatever is in arm's reach."

To help break that pattern, follow these guidelines:

Eat real meals. Like many dieters, Chrissy tries to save calories by having a handful of crackers and cheese for lunch. "But a big salad with 3 ounces of chicken and a small whole wheat roll is more filling and more nutritious and has about as many calories," says Young. Also, having a more satisfying breakfast and lunch will help prevent overeating at night.

Prepare reheatable foods. It's tough to cook when it's late, so Chrissy should make a batch of grilled chicken on the weekend so she has lean protein ready to go. Other simple staples: frozen vegetables, instant brown rice, and figure-friendly frozen fruit or fudge pops to satisfy a sweets craving.

Exercise. Chrissy has time to work out only in the mornings and sometimes can't get herself going. But to jump-start weight loss, she needs 4 or 5 days of cardio sessions and two or three strength-training workouts every week.

To stay motivated:

Vary each workout. She can go running one day, walking or biking the next; when she doesn't feel like heading out, she can pop in a workout DVD.

Keep track. Write down how many minutes, miles, and sets: A journal keeps you more accountable and therefore more likely to follow through, says Freytag.

Attitude

A cookie might make a stressful day feel brighter, but before giving in, Chrissy should practice being mindful of her decisions so she avoids making bad ones, says Kearney-Cooke.

Here's how:

Ride out a craving. Hold off a little before indulging. If she still wants the cookie after 15 minutes, she should have it. But waiting helps develop the capacity to delay gratification, and that's key to success.

Her results

Lost 11 pounds and 1/2 inch off her waist

"Stocking up on easy-prep meals made a difference in my diet: Lentil soup and veggie burgers are my go-to dinners, and while I admit I wasn't excited about frozen fruit pops for dessert, they do satisfy my cravings well enough. What I did love right away was working out with DVDs--doing so helped get me back in the habit of regular exercise. I feel more balanced now, and I'm thrilled with the results."

"I shed 2 1/2 inches from my middle!"

Donna Coulson, 61

After hovering at around 145 pounds for the better part of a decade, Donna Coulson upped her exercise, trimmed her portions, and dropped 10 pounds of the 15 that are her goal, and then the scale got stuck. Part of the reason, she believes, is her jam-packed schedule.

As a self-employed career coach and professional speaker, Donna travels often and works long hours, which takes a toll on her energy levels and eating habits. Though she tried subbing more salads and soups into her diet and squeezing in workouts as best she can, her weight hadn't budged for 3 months.

Expert Strategies

Diet

Donna tends to skip lunch, then overeat at her frequent client dinners. Nibbling on a few ounces of cheese beforehand can help control her hunger, says Young. Metabolism also slows as we age; to keep hers revved, Donna should stick to a three-meal, two-snack day.

Try these tips to keep calories in check:

Work fiber and protein into every meal. Both help regulate blood sugar and keep you feeling fuller longer. Donna can add a few nuts to her cereal, opt for fiber-rich bean soup, and toss tuna in her salad.

Swap in low-calorie sweets. She loves Mallomars, but one serving has 120 calories. Young suggests Donna try meringue-type cookies, which have the same light texture but fewer calories, or have one or two Hershey's Kisses (about 20 calories each).

Exercise. Every weekend, Donna logs 6 miles with her walking club, and she tries to hit the weight machines a few days a week. Her consistency is good, says Freytag.

To see more results, she needs to:

Pick up the pace. Donna strolls when she walks, which is great for socializing, not for fat burning, says Freytag. Adding intervals can burn more calories, and studies show it also helps shrink more belly fat.

Do Pilates once a week. "The risk of injury from a fall increases as we get older," explains Freytag. It's important that Donna add core-building and flexibility workouts to her regimen to improve her balance.

Attitude

Donna gives tirelessly to everyone in her life, but to sustain weight loss, you have to make yourself a priority.

How to stay focused:

Set aside 75 minutes a day for health. That's about how much time most people need to follow a weight loss plan, says Kearney-Cooke. "Make a pie chart of how you spend your time now; then make another chart that allots 45 minutes for exercise, 15 minutes for relaxation, and 15 more for food prep."

Her Results

Lost 4 pounds and 2 1/2 inches off waist

"I learned that if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. Now I walk faster, lift more weight, and do Pilates. I miss my Mallomars, but when I crave chocolate, I'll have an apple, then a Hershey's Kiss, and that does the trick. Though I'm still pretty busy, I am more committed to me: I exercise before work and pack a snack before every late-night event. I have more energy, I dropped two sizes, and I'm still losing weight!"

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I didn't post the entire article since it was kinda long.:flowerforyou:
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    We Busted Our Weight Loss Plateaus"
    Our experts helped three women get the scale moving and drop their most stubborn fat
    By Lorie A. Parch
    http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100241751&gt1=31036

You ate better, exercised more, and watched with joy as your efforts were reflected in the descending numbers on the scale, until, that is, the movement just stopped. A weight loss plateau is undeniably frustrating, but it's also normal: In an analysis of 80 studies on dieters, researchers found that weight loss typically halts after 6 months, according to a report in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. And that stalling can last weeks, months, or even longer.

The Solution: We asked a team of experts—a nutritionist, a certified personal trainer, and a psychologist—to work with these three women for 8 weeks to get the scale moving again, fast. The experts pored over the women's diets, exercise regimens, everyday habits, and attitudes, then offered adjustments to their routines and new strategies to help them restart their fat-burning engines. Their advice can help you reach your weight-loss goals too.

The Experts

Diet: Lisa R. Young, Ph.D., R.D.: Adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and author of The Portion Teller Plan: The No-Diet Reality Guide to Eating, Cheating, and Losing Weight Permanently.

Exercise: Chris Freytag: Prevention's fitness columnist, creator of over a dozen fitness DVDs, and author of three books, including The 2-Week Total Body Turnaround.

Attitude: Ann Kearney-Cooke, Ph.D.: Psychologist specializing in body image, emotional eating, and weight; and author of Change Your Mind, Change Your Body: Feeling Good about Your Body and Self after 40.

"I broke a 4-year weight loss stall!"

Chrissy Brennan, 44

A three-time New York City Marathoner, Chrissy Brennan now finds it hard to remember the accomplished runner she once was. Her recent attempts at exercise and eating right are erratic, frequently falling victim to the long days at her high-stress marketing job. Having worked at health and fitness magazines for nearly a decade prior, Chrissy is well versed in weight loss: She's read the science on exercise and knows how to incorporate healthy foods, yet she's often overcome by cravings, especially at night. The result: a creeping gain of about 20 pounds and a years-long plateau.

Expert Strategies

Diet

"Chrissy eats pretty well during the day, but after work her diet falls apart," says Young. "She gets home late and grabs whatever is in arm's reach."

To help break that pattern, follow these guidelines:

Eat real meals. Like many dieters, Chrissy tries to save calories by having a handful of crackers and cheese for lunch. "But a big salad with 3 ounces of chicken and a small whole wheat roll is more filling and more nutritious and has about as many calories," says Young. Also, having a more satisfying breakfast and lunch will help prevent overeating at night.

Prepare reheatable foods. It's tough to cook when it's late, so Chrissy should make a batch of grilled chicken on the weekend so she has lean protein ready to go. Other simple staples: frozen vegetables, instant brown rice, and figure-friendly frozen fruit or fudge pops to satisfy a sweets craving.

Exercise. Chrissy has time to work out only in the mornings and sometimes can't get herself going. But to jump-start weight loss, she needs 4 or 5 days of cardio sessions and two or three strength-training workouts every week.

To stay motivated:

Vary each workout. She can go running one day, walking or biking the next; when she doesn't feel like heading out, she can pop in a workout DVD.

Keep track. Write down how many minutes, miles, and sets: A journal keeps you more accountable and therefore more likely to follow through, says Freytag.

Attitude

A cookie might make a stressful day feel brighter, but before giving in, Chrissy should practice being mindful of her decisions so she avoids making bad ones, says Kearney-Cooke.

Here's how:

Ride out a craving. Hold off a little before indulging. If she still wants the cookie after 15 minutes, she should have it. But waiting helps develop the capacity to delay gratification, and that's key to success.

Her results

Lost 11 pounds and 1/2 inch off her waist

"Stocking up on easy-prep meals made a difference in my diet: Lentil soup and veggie burgers are my go-to dinners, and while I admit I wasn't excited about frozen fruit pops for dessert, they do satisfy my cravings well enough. What I did love right away was working out with DVDs--doing so helped get me back in the habit of regular exercise. I feel more balanced now, and I'm thrilled with the results."

"I shed 2 1/2 inches from my middle!"

Donna Coulson, 61

After hovering at around 145 pounds for the better part of a decade, Donna Coulson upped her exercise, trimmed her portions, and dropped 10 pounds of the 15 that are her goal, and then the scale got stuck. Part of the reason, she believes, is her jam-packed schedule.

As a self-employed career coach and professional speaker, Donna travels often and works long hours, which takes a toll on her energy levels and eating habits. Though she tried subbing more salads and soups into her diet and squeezing in workouts as best she can, her weight hadn't budged for 3 months.

Expert Strategies

Diet

Donna tends to skip lunch, then overeat at her frequent client dinners. Nibbling on a few ounces of cheese beforehand can help control her hunger, says Young. Metabolism also slows as we age; to keep hers revved, Donna should stick to a three-meal, two-snack day.

Try these tips to keep calories in check:

Work fiber and protein into every meal. Both help regulate blood sugar and keep you feeling fuller longer. Donna can add a few nuts to her cereal, opt for fiber-rich bean soup, and toss tuna in her salad.

Swap in low-calorie sweets. She loves Mallomars, but one serving has 120 calories. Young suggests Donna try meringue-type cookies, which have the same light texture but fewer calories, or have one or two Hershey's Kisses (about 20 calories each).

Exercise. Every weekend, Donna logs 6 miles with her walking club, and she tries to hit the weight machines a few days a week. Her consistency is good, says Freytag.

To see more results, she needs to:

Pick up the pace. Donna strolls when she walks, which is great for socializing, not for fat burning, says Freytag. Adding intervals can burn more calories, and studies show it also helps shrink more belly fat.

Do Pilates once a week. "The risk of injury from a fall increases as we get older," explains Freytag. It's important that Donna add core-building and flexibility workouts to her regimen to improve her balance.

Attitude

Donna gives tirelessly to everyone in her life, but to sustain weight loss, you have to make yourself a priority.

How to stay focused:

Set aside 75 minutes a day for health. That's about how much time most people need to follow a weight loss plan, says Kearney-Cooke. "Make a pie chart of how you spend your time now; then make another chart that allots 45 minutes for exercise, 15 minutes for relaxation, and 15 more for food prep."

Her Results

Lost 4 pounds and 2 1/2 inches off waist

"I learned that if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten. Now I walk faster, lift more weight, and do Pilates. I miss my Mallomars, but when I crave chocolate, I'll have an apple, then a Hershey's Kiss, and that does the trick. Though I'm still pretty busy, I am more committed to me: I exercise before work and pack a snack before every late-night event. I have more energy, I dropped two sizes, and I'm still losing weight!"

Thanks for the info-- I am in the midst of this right now and have added afternoon workout and adjusted my eating habits and the scale is finally moving downward!
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link, that's a very interesting article :happy:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    just saving for later
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Great info & tips! :flowerforyou: