Doing high intensity workouts barefoot.....is that okay?

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
I broke my toe about a week and a half ago. I took about five days off, but then felt well enough to start up exercise (low intensity). I am gradually getting back to where I was (Advanced Turbofire with a splattering of Insantiy thrown in when I feel like I need to die :-) ) but I am in so much pain when I put on my running shoe. If I work out barefoot, I feel okay but I am not sure if this is safe. Any opinions? I imagine long-term it would not be a good idea, but do you think it is okay for now? I really am well enough to do it - just not with shoes!

Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sure! Why wouldn't it be ok? Some if us wear minimalist shoes like Vibram Five Fingers or Fila Skeletoes becuase we like that natural foot feeling more than the cushioning of a running shoe. I lift, run and use the elliptical wearing mine. If my gym would let me lift barefoot, I would! Go to it!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I used to dance modern dance professionally and we do EVERYTHING barefoot!
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    I say if it feels good, keep it up. I wear a pair of wrestling shoes, that really have no cushioning, when I work out and my feet feel great.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Im assuming you'll be just fine. I can't STAND wearing shoes or socks when I work out if I can avoid it. When I get overheated the first thing that drives me nuts is having my feet covered.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive gymnast. Everything we did was with bare feet. Unless you have a weak/injured ankle and are at high risk of rolling it, then I say go for it.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I do most all of my workouts barefoot and I find I have much LESS foot pain, ankle pain, hip pain. Smartest thing I ever started doing and I'm saving a small fortune on shoes every year. Of course, if I head outside I do wear shoes.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes to work out, and I do Insanity and other high impact workouts. I actually have weak ankles and barefoot workouts have been great because my balance is better and I'm less likely to land awkwardly and injure myself. If it woks for you, go for it.
  • Clarisse0304
    Clarisse0304 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home barefoot and I feel much better than wearing any shoes.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I kickbox, karate and Muay Thai in bare feet. We also run, jump etc, during class. No problems :happy:
  • apapandrea
    apapandrea Posts: 30
    Options
    I have done p90x barefoot (all 90 days) and am now doing 30 Day Shred barefoot- agreed with the other posts- it actually makes my feet hurt less! Plus many times running shoes don't have the correct support system for workouts such as insanity (with more lateral movements) and are designed for the stride of running, so they might not be doing your feet any favors anyway! If it feels right then I say go for it!
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    I'm always afraid of going barefoot because of my plantar fasciitis but it seems like a lot of people have success with it. Maybe I should give it a try!
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    going barefoot makes you work harder too. i personally wear sneakers bc my knees started to bother me. but barefoot is great.
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    I do Insanity everyday barefoot! If your feet start hurting you might wanna get a yoga mat
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity barefoot and wear the New Balance Minimus for crossfit. I like the least amount of shoes possible.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Shoes either didn't exist, or were so generic as to be pointless up until the 1850's. Soldiers in the Civil War were still wearing square boots that could be worn on either foot. Bare foot is probably better any way. Of course I am not a doctor of any type so I could be totally wrong.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You don't get "well" from a broken toe in a week and a half. It doesn't matter if you feel well, you have a broken toe. Shouldn't you be talking to your doctor about what is safe to do?
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You don't get "well" from a broken toe in a week and a half. It doesn't matter if you feel well, you have a broken toe. Shouldn't you be talking to your doctor about what is safe to do?

This.

I work out bare foot, but I certainly wouldn't if I had a broken toe until I'd consulted my doctor.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options

This. I broke my toe a couple of summers ago and kept exercising on it because it didn't feel that bad. When I finally went to the doctor he told me as professionally as possible that I was a moron and needed to keep off of it.

It may not heal properly, and then you open yourself up to a host of problems that may not resolve. I had to take it easy for six weeks, but only your doctor can monitor you and tell you for sure when it's safe.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I will continue barefoot for now. I will re-evaluate once the toe is better healed. I did ballet and modern dance for years and then switched over to running and aerobics, so all this barefoot brings me back to my dancing days.

I do have an appointment to see a doctor in a week. I am not in much pain right now (unless I put on a shoe) and being in Canada it is hard to get in to see a doctor. I was not up to waiting 15 plus hours in emergency so I just called my family doctor and the earliest they could fit me in was then - and that was amazingly early. Having lived in the US for years, this is SOOOO frustrating. I hope you appreciate what you have!!!!!!

Thanks to all who replied!

Sarah
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I teach kickboxing barefoot. My karate sensei would have my head if I put on shoes to do martial arts.