Non boring chicken ideas!

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi

I've done a search on here, and as expected chicken comes up a lot and there are some good recipes out there - but none that have really 'grabbed' me. I'm not a fan of crock pot style foods (I'm weird, it's a consistency and too much sauce thing!) so just wondered if anyone had any interesting chicken recipes.

I've not eaten chicken for so long for precisely the reason that I just get so bored of it being dry and uninteresting!

Any ideas appreciated!

H

Replies

• njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Kickin Chicken

Ingredients:
    12 boneless skinless chicken thighs OR 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx 2 lbs)
    ¾ cup light peanut sauce
    ½ cup medium or hot salsa
    ¼ cup fresh chopped basil leaves

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Arrange chicken in dish in a single layer; should cover most of the dish

3. Combine sauces and basil, then pour over the chicken. Make sure all the pieces are well coated.

4. Cook 40-45 minutes for thighs, 35-40 minutes for breasts until chicken is no longer pink in the centre and sauce is bubbly.

5. Serve chicken with extra sauce on top. Great served with a baked sweet potato and steamed vegetables.

Yield: Serves 6
    Per serving: Calories:217 Carbs:5g Fat:4g Protein:31g Fiber:2g Sodium:541g

Source: Eat Shrink and Be Merry
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just had chicken for dinner...

On the weekend, I bought mixed salad greens and a tub of ricotta cheese (both half price as they expired today)

So I cut up a chicken breast and cooked it in a non-stick pan without oil... added lemon juice, nutmeg, pepper, leftover asparagus, ricotta, cherry tomatoes and salad greens...

And just ate it like that, it tasted very rich. I think it could go great over pasta too if you wanted
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Braised Moroccan Chicken with Dates and Almonds

3.5 lbs of bone-in chicken with skin (though you don't necessarily need the skin)
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 pounds shallots (about 11 large), peeled
    3 cinnamon sticks
    1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 cups low-salt chicken broth
    5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
    12 dates, pitted, halved (I use Medjool)
    1/4 cup almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1) Dredge the chicken in salt, pepper, and flour. I'm on Atkins, so I use the skin-on chicken without flour.
    2) Brown the chicken in olive oil, let the skin get crispy. The chicken should be about 65% cooked. Remove the chicken and let it sit somewhere to dry off without getting soft.
    3) Keep two tablespoons of the chicken fat in the pan and saute the shallots until they're golden.Add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Stir it all until its very aromatic.
    4) Add broth and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until shallots begin to soften.
    5) Place chicken pieces atop shallots in pot. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until juices run clear
    6) Transfer chicken and shallots to platter; tent with foil. Boil juices in pot until slightly thickened. Stir in dates and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
    7) Reduce heat and simmer gently until dates are heated through, about 2 minutes.
    8) Pour sauce and dates over chicken. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro, and ENJOY!