Would you take a Cortisone shot to Run Again?

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
My doctor thinks I might need a Cortisone shot after having 6 weeks of knee pain.

Would you take the shot even if there is no guarantee it will work?

Replies

• karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i had one in my knee, and it worked for about a week. :(

i am calling the doctor in the morning to see about getting jelly shots. they are supposed to work for 6-12 months.

but it really depends on what is wrong with your knee.. i have arthritis in both and nearly bone on bone on the left.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    not in my lifetime! I was "guaranteed" to run again after I had reconstructive surgery on my peroneus longus and brevus. two years after the surgery, I am restricted from running because the surgery gave me RSD! :sad:
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had several friends get a cortisone shots and had decent luck with them especially with IT band injuries. I sit here tonight telling you that I wouldn't get one, but then again if I'm injured and think that this would help me run again with no or minimal pain, I would probably consider it. :) Good luck in your decision!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I first need an MRI and then will make my decision!!!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Yes I would and I have. I had 2 cortisone shots in my foot for a morton's neuroma, it's not completely pain free so I am getting another one in a week. Good luck.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Well I have already had two spinal injections in my back so that I can run again ... so yes I would in a heart beat. Nothing in this world makes me happier than running, so without running I would be sad. Plus psychologically I need that release! Although other exercise is ok, I have yet to find anything that gives me that same release.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would first see the best sports massage therapist you can find in your area. I've pretty much given up on my primary care physician knowing anything about the aches and pains of an athlete.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I might need a Cortisone shot after having 6 weeks of knee pain.

Would you take the shot even if there is no guarantee it will work?

Yes, I would get one. Especially, for an IT band injury. I am fortunate that my dr is also a long distance runner and with much discussion I almost had one in my right knee. We chose to work a little bit more with additional IT band stretches and that did the job.

Are you new to running and/or is this a recent injury? PT might be an alternative first?
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Emma,

I love your passion for running. I must admit I took things for granted until I got injured!!!

Now I missing running especially after watch other people run in local races!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Personall, I wouldn't. Cortisone shots are a temporary fix for a more chronic problem. I think the dr needs to figure out why you're having pain and treat the cause
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a cortisone shot for my tennis elbow. Its been hurting for over a month with no end in sight.
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i got one on each hip for bursitis and it has helped a little but the pain is coming back.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    i got one on each hip for bursitis and it has helped a little but the pain is coming back.

several of my friends and family are having the same problem. another reason why I will not get one.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Have had several. Sometimes it's the only thing to bring relief.

When my bursitis in my hips get bad, I beg!

Luckily it's been about 2 years since my last and (knock on wood) all is still good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a cortisone shot for my tennis elbow. Its been hurting for over a month with no end in sight.
    I had one in my forearm about 13 years ago. Never had a problem again. Good luck.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Having had success with a cortisone shot in my wrist I would do it again if needed. I have to say I did not expect the swelling that happened or the pain both during the injection and for almost 2 weeks after the shot. It did remove all pain in the wrist from tendonitis (sp?) and while I never regained full range of motion I was able to recover over 95%. I am just starting to get into running and I agree the release is amazing!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I just want to put an update out there...my first round of cortisone for a morton's neuroma worked really well. I managed to go about 5 months before noticing the pain and numbness again. The second round I ended up with 3 injections in the nerve and within 2 weeks the original pain was back. If it had worked, I would have continued to go for it, but I won't try it again at this point.