My Story and Partial Progress with Pictures

Options
SteffieMark
SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
I've never posted photos of my fat for everyone to see before. And I am quite nervous, but here goes. If it helps just one person to see they can do it too, then I'll be happy. I believe that you're never too old or too fat to change.

A little history...
I just turned 55 a little over a week ago. I have been thin most of my life. My health started to decline a few years ago. Asthma, combined with Arthritis in my lower back made being mobile more and more difficult. The pounds just started piling up. I went from being very in-shape and athletic, to being ashamed of my weight. It did not happen overnight, it took 3 or 4 years. This is my first attempt to shed the weight and get my health back.

I have always been a very picky eater. In fact, most of my life, I survived on one meal a day. It just was never very important to me, other than keeping me alive. I was never an emotional eater, comfort eater, binge eater. I was a non-eater! lol I was very active and I guess that is how I managed to stay small for so many years. Once I couldn't be active anymore, it wreacked havoc on my body and everything I ate, turned to fat! I know that now. I changed nothing except I could no longer do the things I did before. I went from 128 pounds in 2008 to 247 pounds by February of 2012!

Eating! So far, I have lost 38 pounds. How? I started eating! That boggled my mind. I had to start slowly, it was all I could do to choke down 700 calories a day, unless it was junk. I stopped drinking sweet iced tea and started drinking water, which I hated. I like it now and drink at least 10 glasses a day. I started reading labels and not cooking crap. I cook fresh, lean, delicious foods for my family. It really makes a difference. Without changing a single other thing about their lifestyles, my 19 year old son has lost 16 pounds and my husband has lost 8 pounds! I'm still working on getting my calories higher, I am up to 1350 a day, eating at least 1200 regularly.

Moving! I started moving my body! On February 24, 2012, I started walking on a home exercise machine. I couldn't last two minutes. I was gasping for air and in horrible pain. I thought I had bitten off much more than I could chew. I was determined to do better. So, every time I felt I had the energy to walk, I walked. That two minutes turned into 7 minutes, then 10 minutes and before I knew it, I could walk 30 minutes without dying! Or crying! Now, I regularly walk 30 minutes and 60 minutes without trouble. On May 15th, I actually pushed myself and walked 90 minutes! Ok, that almost killed me! haha Now, I walk at least 5 miles a day and sometimes 8-10. I also use Stability Balls and Kettlebells. I love Kettlebells, they make me feel stronger!

One of the more satisfying things about this, to me at least...I am standing taller. I was hunched over in pain for quite a long time. I had always been 5' 8", I was under 5' 6" the last time I was measured by a doctor. I am back up over 5' 7" and I'm hoping I'll gain my other inch back as I stand even taller. My breathing is so much improved, I barely ever get to the point of gasping for air. In fact, I can't recall the last time. I still deal with some pain in my lower back, but compared to what it was before, it is almost non-existant!

I guess I have rambled on long enough. I just really want people to realize that you can do anything you set your mind to do. I was so full of self pity and self loathing, I just figured I should give up. My life was surely over anyway, at least the good part. I couldn't have been more wrong. With the will, determination and work, we can do it. Don't give up on yourself. I almost did and I cannot even imagine where I would be now, if I hadn't started changing my life three short months ago. I have a long way left to go, but I know I'll make it. Because, I want it!

A few photos...
This is me this morning, wearing a pair of my old favorite workout pants. It had been quite some time since I had them on.
cantcan1.jpg

The photo on the left was two weeks after starting my new life, on 3/9/12. The photo on the right is 3 1/2 weeks later, on 4/2/12. I was sucking my stomach in with all I had in those photos. I though it would look smaller, it didn't. I still can't believe how big my belly was.
2.jpg

The left photo was two weeks after starting to work out, using a stability ball and doing kettlebell workouts with Gin Miller, I love her! It was taken on 4/16/12. The photo on the right was taken this morning, 5/22/12, a few minutes after I realized I could wear my pants again. Of course, they were much looser when I used to wear them. But, I'm just happy to see them fit again. This is also after a month of really getting serious about walking. I seriously cannot get over how it is changing my butt! lol
2a.jpg

I really want to thank so many people on MFP. My friends really go without saying. They know how much I love them and that I could never do this without their love and support. But, also to so many here that I have not ever met or spoken to. I read so much of the things some of you write and I really pay attention. Some of you know so much and are so helpful. I learn so much from y'all. What a wonderful place this is!

Replies

• blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Congrats hon! You are such an inspiration to us all.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Every Day You Inspire Me To Be Here.......

You Look Amazing......
    Keep Up The Fantastic Work....

Thank You For Sharing-That Can Be The Hardest Part To Do.....
  • Lisamoss18
    Lisamoss18 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats nice job!!
  • sam76943
    sam76943 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you so much for your testimonial! You inspire me every day with your comments and posts as my "friend" here on MFP. You have bared your very soul here and went out on a limb from your comfort zone to post your story and photos for us all and I deeply appreciate the courage you demonstrate in doing this!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Steffie--you have inspired me so much the last few months. Keep up the good work!
  • channel11
    channel11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your openess and sharing, your story is so inspiring. It has really given me the boost I needed at 56 yrs and having been at a plateau for 2-3 wks now, big thank you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    oh well done! I can defo see a remarkable difference
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    Steffie, I am so proud of you, you inspire me everyday to do the best I can, even if it is only 10 minutes of something, anything.
    I am so happy you are doing what makes you feel better and happy. You're always here to cheer everyone on and keep us motivated, congratulations you look wonderful!!! :)
  • Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You are my hero....I Love You!!! I want to be just like you....
  • SecondChance2012
    Options
    OMG! What an inspiration you are. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I saw you have ATA on those pants in one of your pictures...you take taekwondo? My daughter is a purple belt. And congrats on your progress!
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Steffie, Congratulation on all your healthy accomplishments! I love the goals you have set for yourself and that your not giving in when the going gets tough. You look great, and its only going to get better and better!!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    What an inspiring and interesting subject matter. Keep up the good work, it is paying off..the pics don't lie! :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You're amazing and so is your progress!!! So much change in 3 little months! I know you'll keep it up and continue to motivate everyone blessed enough to be your friend through this journey. You're fabulous!
  • Victoire2012
    Victoire2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures. Amazing and inspirational. I absolutely love this site and the truly amazing stories I read like yours are going to help keep me motivated. Just getting going again after gaining15 pounds in the first few months of this year. I am weighing in at my heaviest in years and decided I deserve to give myself every chance to be happy!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I saw you have ATA on those pants in one of your pictures...you take taekwondo? My daughter is a purple belt. And congrats on your progress!

Thank y'all so much for your kind words. It was so traumatic to post this. But, it was helpful to me, to do it. I love my friends here so much. They have no idea how much or how much they all inspire me to do better. They know who they are.

Yes, I started taking Taekwondo when I turned 41. I received my 2nd Degree Black Belt after training hard for 4 years. I started teaching after that, for the next three. I have since had to stop. I hope to get back into it, before too terribly much longer. I can still swing a pretty mean nunchuk though! Muhahahaah
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    You amazed me again. :flowerforyou:
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    YOU R O C K ! Amazing progress. You inspire me. I'm 57 and haven't lost as much as you. I will push harder! Also, my grandson is in TKD. He just turned 5. When you pick that up again.....imagine the shape your will be able to get to even faster. YOU GO GIRL>
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    Steffie I'm so incredibly proud of you, can you see me standing and applauding?!! :happy: I count myself blessed to have met you right after I became a member here, you are such an encourager. I know you will get done with your journey way before I do but you best stick around and keep cheering me on !!

I'm so happy for you :flowerforyou:
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I wish you continued success!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!