About to cheat...

Options
I started dieting on 5-15-2012. It has now been a week. I have lost 8 pounds. Tonight though I am about 60 calories from my goal and I am starving. I am 26, 5'6" and now weigh 200 pounds. Should I have my calorie limit set to 1200 or should it be lower? As of right now I'm at 1053, is that the right amount? I hate that I am starving myself and feel like giving up.

Replies

• AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I suspect that you're just having a hungry day. Did you exercise a lot today? Your body might just be adjusting. If you give yourself 1/2 cup of warmed milk (to whatever temperature you like), it can be VERY comforting to an empty stomach. It's only about 40 calories. Add a little water, and it will fill a coffee cup.

If you want more, then commit to 20 minutes of yoga and give yourself a few more calories.

And if you REALLY need a meal, then give yourself a day of a few calories over. One day is just that... ONE day.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    <5'9 170 lbs >losing atleast 2 lbs a week for the past 9 weeks and my limit started at 1800 cal and is now around 1500, not sure if the gender thing matters but 1200 is literally starving yourself i was under 1200 one day and mfp told me to eat more
  • jwatts1202
    jwatts1202 Posts: 26
    Options
    eat lots of veges! you could eat a whole bag of frozen broccoli and be super full and it'd be like..100 calories! Eat an apple before a meal, it makes you feel fuller..it's also a negative calorie food..it takes more calories to digest it then are in the apple (i think that's how it goes lol) you've lost 8 lbs in a week!! That is AWESOME! Don't give up, just eat foods that are more filling. Or you could eat like 1,500 calories a day and lose weight a little slower? At least you wouldnt be starving that way. Good luck and don't give up!!
  • SpanishRapunzel
    SpanishRapunzel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ... I'm no expert by any means, but I'm 5'6", hw 250 (pregnant) and cw 179. I'm still nursing 2-3x/day, but my calories are about 1300 a day and I've been losing 2-3 lbs a week, and that's with working out. So I guess my question to you is, what types of food are you eating,and are you exercising? Oh, and I'm 25
  • jwatts1202
    jwatts1202 Posts: 26
    Options
    <5'9 170 lbs >losing atleast 2 lbs a week for the past 9 weeks and my limit started at 1800 cal and is now around 1500, not sure if the gender thing matters but 1200 is literally starving yourself i was under 1200 one day and mfp told me to eat more

mens metabolism is faster so you need more calories then us lucky women lol
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I started dieting on 5-15-2012. It has now been a week. I have lost 8 pounds. Tonight though I am about 60 calories from my goal and I am starving. I am 26, 5'6" and now weigh 200 pounds. Should I have my calorie limit set to 1200 or should it be lower? As of right now I'm at 1053, is that the right amount? I hate that I am starving myself and feel like giving up.

200 pounds and your eating less than 1200 cal a day.

eat something!!
    holy jesus. im 119. and at 1700 cal a day!

I cant stress how much you need to eat.
    Look up a topic called " in place of a roadmap" byt helloitsdan. it will set you straight.

I really want to write an essay to you about this, but knowing my passion about it, it will turn into a rant and you will take it the wrong way
  • angelbaby52585
    Options
    I don't do a lot of exercise during the day but 5 nights a week I am a dietary server to 35 to 40 people. That is usually the only exercise I get. Working in a place where I am offered a meal every night doesn't help. I just know that trying to only eat 1053 calories a day is stressful. I have been replacing meals with the diet shakes and then eating low calorie dinners at night. Snacks are usually light string cheese or chex mix.
  • SpanishRapunzel
    Options
    eat lots of veges!
    agreed! And try to cut processed foods down to little or none- they just don't fill a tummy like the natural stuff! I've found that a dab of peanut butter on whole wheat toast and a huge glass of water takes care of the rumbles more often than not. If you hate pb, try another good protein source, like maybe 4 oz or so of Greek yogurt with fruit.
  • SpanishRapunzel
    Options
    Bump up your calories to 1400/day for a week and EAT, dont drink, your calories. If you have to do something quick, look at the kashi frozen meals. Or pack fresh fruit and a chobani yogurt and some almonds. A thousand calories a day will make a 110 lb girl drop weight, sweetie!
  • beachlover718
    Options

eat something!!

Look up a topic called " in place of a roadmap" byt helloitsdan. it will set you straight.

I really want to write an essay to you about this, but knowing my passion about it, it will turn into a rant and you will take it the wrong way

^^this!!!^^

you are NOT eating enough! at your height and weight you need to eat about 1700 cals just to stay alive BMR). DO NOT go lower!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

1,053 is way too low especially for someone weighing 5'6" & 200 lbs. Heck thats even too low for me at 33 years old,119 lbs., 5'2". My BMR is 1,301 & I don't go lower than 1,400 cals when in deficit. Your BMR is definitely higher tham mine so which means that you have to eat more than I do to lsoe weight. Probably the reason why you're starving is that its the body's way of telling you to eat more. That is OK if you're morbidly obese but as you get smaller, your body will be needing smaller deficit as well. Very low calorie diets can give you rapid weight loss but much of it comes from water & LBM while holding on to fat. Also have you been working out as well?
  • britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi your calorie intake seems low to me. I am 5'6 too and started this program at 198lbs and my daily limit was about 1400. What goal have you set? Any exercise? I would not eat less than 1200 calories a day. It is easier to cheat when you are starving, Good Luck
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get some tea. It will help.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Where did you come up with 1053?
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok, first off you are eaten way too FEW calories per day. I'm a bit over 1200 per day and I'm 5'5" and weigh 211. Did MFP calculate that for you? You might want to check out the group Eat More to Lose Weight.

Anyway if you are hungry ....

I would eat some yogurt or cottage cheese, something with a bit of protein that will fill you up but not put you over your cal intake by much. Also, tea is a GREAT suggestion, or warm milk. Dairy products usually help a lot though.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

eat something!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Eat high fiber foods. You'll feel fuller longer for less calories. Fruits, whole grains, and lean protein are your best options. Also I don't think you're taking in enough calories.
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    dont quit! Bump your calories to AT LEAST 1400 a day! Your starving yourself!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 211 pounds, and I eat 1737 a day, plus all of my exercise calories. If I'm still hungry, I eat. I'm losing. Listen to your body, once you learn to trust it, it's your greatest tool.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Eat your 1200 calories. I started at 226lbs, been losing consistently at 1200 cals. Try to eat more protein rich foods, keeps you fuller longer. If I eat too many carb rich foods I am hungry more often.