One moment of inattention...

Just a moment self-awareness

I started going to the gym regularly about a month ago. Slowly building my endurance on the stationary bike. Starting at 15 minutes and increasing by 3 minutes every 3 gym days. My plan was to get to 30 minutes and then branch out to strength exercises. Today would have been my first day of hitting 30 minutes. But I am not there, I am sitting here writing this.

Why?

On Sunday I was going out to my garage to do laundry and missed the fact that my dog had spilled water on the floor from his bowl. That mistake cost me a strained knee and bruised foot.

The good news is that I can still walk on the leg, probably because of the time on the bike. Swelling seems to be the worst of it. I'm walking as much as is comfortable to keep the knee from tightening up and having it elevated while sitting.

I hope I can get this under control again soon and then... Back on that bike!

Replies

• bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    there's nothing worse than having a set back when you're so motivated. hope your foot is better soon.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Wait at least a week, before any impact on that knee. But that doesn't give you an excuse to take it easy :P do lots of upper body exercise, planks, core workouts, anything that doesn't strain. If you don't keep active you could lose a lot of endurance that you built up. Good luck!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    BACK ON THE BIKE!!! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    There's got to be some upper body stuff you can do while you're healing so you don't lose your motivation!
  • whoohooinva
    whoohooinva Posts: 3 Member
    hope you get better real soon so you can get back on that bike, I have been doing the Arc trainer and just got to 45 mins so I know how you feel I would be upset if I had something set me back, took a month to get where I am now. Good luck!
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    does your gym have a cardio machine for arms? It might help keep up the endurance without pressuring you to get back to biking too soon.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    ugh I hate injuries. On the other hand, you can always work your upper body. Try simple sitting on the floor with your legs spread ahead of you (straight but apart) and your back perpendicular to the ground and just punching air. After a minute or 2 you will feel the burn on your arms and on your thighs.

Theres a bunch of other workouts for upper body that you can do in your situation too.

Good luck and feel better soon :)