20 weeks in = 44.6 lbs.

Options
Tonight marks my 20-week Zumba-versary. :) A friend convinced me to try a beginner's class. Made it through the beginner class, stayed for the regular class immediately following and pre-paid for future classes that night. I was 5'2", 264.8 lbs. of couch-potato. I was disgusted with myself and feeling like crap. I persevered through a lot of sore, protesting muscles. I didn't stop even when shin splints had me in tears. I kept going and I went 4-5 times a week. I stayed in the back and all the way at the end where there were no mirrors because I was so ashamed of me. I couldn't touch my toes or jump or move very fast. I modified most of the moves because I could not do them. I walked into class tonight still very overweight, still not particularly happy with my body. I walked in and did every single move without modifying. I sweat like a beast and I know I didn't look pretty or graceful but I did very damn move. I could feel things shaking that oughtn't but there was less of those parts than there were 20-weeks ago and in 20 more weeks, there will be less yet.

Last week I came home one morning and decided right at that moment to start C25K. I downloaded it and headed out. I hated very minute but I did it. Don't know if I'll make it through but I plan to give it my best d@mn shot. This is what Zumba did for me. Started Zumba and started using MFP a few days later. This works if you work. You can do this. I was an obese, lazy, junk-food addict who still is hypothyroid, has PCOS, sleep apnea and adrenal fatigue. It's a ***** at times but it does not rule me anymore! My husband and my sons look at me like I am a crazy person because I WANT to go to Zumba or go for a walk. That wasn't me 20 weeks ago but that is me now.

"I may not be there today but I am closer than I was yesterday."

Replies

• not2skinny
    not2skinny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YOU GO, GIRL!! I'm 5'2" also!!
  • LifeinDC
    LifeinDC Posts: 34
    Options
    excellent. I started with Zumba too, though now I go to Spin more often. Everyone posting about Ct5K is even making me think about running. Keep the cha-cha up.
  • grace309
    grace309 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are awesome and an inspiration! Don't ever give up and as far as what you look like in class, dont think twice about it. We all think that way, but its how it makes you feel. Having fun and exercising is the biggest reward. I love our zumba class and am so glad I started going. I wish my scheduled allowed me to go 5days a week, but am doing the summer slim down. Which is a challenge with my back. But I keep going and pushing. I want to be able to be where you are one day! So keep going and inspiring the rest of us!
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yay for short girls! I am 5"4 and started at 240.5. I used to do Zumba a couple years ago. Your story has encouraged me to find a Zumba class again. I was waiting until I had lost more weight but I think I will just go do it. I loved the dancing and the fun people! I have lost 11.5 pounds so far since staring MFP two months ago. Having a hard time staying focused and on track as I have come and gone from MFP a few times over the past two months. Disappointing to think how much more I could have lost if I had stayed focused and kept up with MFP. Better to be here now than dwell on what could have been is what I think. So here is to YOU and here is to ME...Zumba class: here I come!
    Thank you for sharing!
  • MrsKearns
    MrsKearns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    zumba is what started it for me too! I loved it, loved the way it made me feel, so I kept going, and then I started a running class (followed the C25K plan pretty much) and then last week I started a BOOTCAMP! I hate it but Im doing it lol Keep it up lady! Hard work pays off!
  • lisaishotpink
    lisaishotpink Posts: 124
    Options
    Congratulations! Zumba is a great weight loss tool, I have the Exhilarate DVD set and I love it. Keep up the good work! Good luck with everything!
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! I got chills reading this. While I do different exercises than you, I have a similar experience. When people offer me cake, I now think carefully before taking it. When it comes time to take a day off from exercise, I have trouble doing that because I now find it hard to sit still. It's amazing how our bodies and minds change to such a healthier set in such a short time!
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yay for short girls! I am 5"4 and started at 240.5. I used to do Zumba a couple years ago. Your story has encouraged me to find a Zumba class again. I was waiting until I had lost more weight but I think I will just go do it. I loved the dancing and the fun people! I have lost 11.5 pounds so far since staring MFP two months ago. Having a hard time staying focused and on track as I have come and gone from MFP a few times over the past two months. Disappointing to think how much more I could have lost if I had stayed focused and kept up with MFP. Better to be here now than dwell on what could have been is what I think. So here is to YOU and here is to ME...Zumba class: here I come!
    Thank you for sharing!

Don't get too discouraged if you fall off of the wagon. I have had times in the past where I just couldn't seem to do this thing one more day. My comforting thought was that I knew it would still be here when I got ready to return. I woke up every day with it on my mind. Even when I wasn't logging or exercising like I should, it was still all in the back of my mind. My binges weren't nearly as bad as before and I didn't do as much damage to my body as I once would have. I learned that one day or one month wasn't going to ruin my whole life, especially if I was yearning to return to the good way of living the entire time. Don't stress over the days that aren't perfect, or even the weeks, just keep striving to return to the healthy lifestyle and eventually you will make it back.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    "This works if you work. You can do this." .......

Your words ...... and ain't it the truth ...... if this were easy, we'd all be skinny !

Consistency is key ....... congrats & keep on truckin', sister !
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    awsome keep it up yeah, I started with zumba also
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's so great!! Congrats on your success! I LOVE Zumba... when I make myself go to the classes, LOL! You have inspired me to get at it again! So, thank you! :)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What a really great post! Thanks for sharing your success and determination. I too have figured out how determined I can be to lose this weight, not so much through Zumba, but sheer determination.

I still have 60 lbs I'd like to lose and log in every day. Sending you a friend request.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! good for you. Im a shorty too at 5'2
    keep up the great work!!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You. Are. Awesome. I love your attitude, and thank you for sharing!
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Zumba is a great weight loss tool, I have the Exhilarate DVD set and I love it. Keep up the good work! Good luck with everything!

I have the Exhilarate DVD's also and I looove them..
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Great Job..Though we are all looking to be healthy and lose weight, don't forget to enjoy the journey. When you remember how hard you worked once you achieve your goal you will never allow yourself to go back to your old ways..Hats off:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What a great inspiration you are! Thanks for sharing what so many obese feel -- embarrassment and shame to participate in such classes. Your drive is evidence that you will succeed! Keep it up!
  • kgeldreich
    kgeldreich Posts: 73
    Options
    Way to go---awesome commitment, even when it's tough!
  • bevculp
    bevculp Posts: 2
    Options
    This is awesome and inspiring! Keep it up! You have a great attitude!
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" also, I've been using MFP since the first of January and has helped me tremendously! First time in life I have lost the weight I have and I WILL reach my goal hopefully by my birthday in September. I feel so much better, still have ways to go but closer than I was. So you keep up the good work and I've always wanted to join Zumba class but always felt too big to be able to move but you've given me the incentive to try it. Thanks :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!