Hooked on freezer jam!

Options
NinaDawn79
NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
My wonderful boss brought in a ton of raspberries from her yard last Thursday and we all made freezer jam (my first time!) We're on 10 hour days right now and it was a nice way to break up the day. :bigsmile:

But as I'm sure most other people know, there is a TOOOON of sugar in that jam, and I have not been able to stay out of it since. :embarassed:

I think we're going to make more this Thursday, and I wanted to try a batch with some Stevia, does anyone know if that would work or how much to use?? Is it worth sacrificing a batch of fruit "experimenting"??? :ohwell:

TIA!!!

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Good question.....It sounds like it would work for me....I would use as much Stevia as it calls for sugar, it seems to work the same! Good LUCK!!!!!! :)
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I splenda when i make mine,you could also use baking sugar by splenda,that works good to.been doing it this way for 2 yrs.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Dare I ask what exactly is "freezer jam"? Is it jam that's put in the freezer?? :wink:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Dare I ask what exactly is "freezer jam"? Is it jam that's put in the freezer?? :wink:

I was thinking the same thing :laugh: I just didn't want to be the one that asked...
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You may not get the same results with stevia. I think that the sugar not only makes the jam sweet, but it also helps it to "set up".

Last year, I made rhubarb jam with rhubarb, sugar, and sugar-free jello. It tasted fine but was very runny. This year, I made rhubarb jam with rhubarb, sugar, and regular jello. It tasted just as good, but it is actually much stiffer (if that makes sense).

The way I see it, you should probably have no more than a tablespoon of jam at a time (although the really yummy stuff makes you want to guzzle a whole jar!!!), so why not go for the real stuff?

Here's what allrecipes.com says about using sugar and other sweeteners:
    Sugar: Sugar inhibits the growth of bacteria, keeping your jam fresh, fruity, and safe to eat. Jam recipes are formulated to call for a certain ratio of pectin to sugar, and they will not jell properly if you don't use the correct amount of sugar. If you'd like to make less-sweet jam, you'll need to buy a special kind of pectin that's formulated to work with less sugar and follow the proportions as given to you on the package.

And, from the bitten word website, here is a description of freezer jam:
    Making freezer jam is delicious and incredibly easy. With traditional jam, you thicken the fruit by cooking it and boiling it down. In making freezer jam, however, you use pectin to thicken. And since you don't cook the fruit, the jam tastes intensely like the fresh fruit itself.

From the looks of this, I just may be making freezer jam when my raspberries ripen!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing! I thought it was a new work out video :laugh: but then I realized it is in the recipe section. :huh:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! :love:

My boyfriend just made some from blueberries but
    I haven't even tried it yet.... could be dangerous!!! :laugh:

Do you generally eat it alone, or on ice cream or yogurt??
    Double Dangerous!! :tongue: :sad: :heart:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! :love:

My boyfriend just made some from blueberries but
    I haven't even tried it yet.... could be dangerous!!! :laugh:

Do you generally eat it alone, or on ice cream or yogurt??
    Double Dangerous!! :tongue: :sad: :heart:

Oh man, it's great as just a regular jam, I can't even think about those other wonderful uses! I started out with two jars and am down half a jar so far. :ohwell:

My weakness has been in PB&Js made with Trader Joe's organic peanut butter and Complete Protein California Style sprouted bread. Absolutely delicious and tons of protein to balance out the sugar, but not low-cal in the least! :noway: I have been (mostly) successful in making half-sandwiches (one piece of bread) at least, but 1 or 2 full sandwiches have slipped in there too. :embarassed: Remember, this is since Thursday! Er, make that Friday since that's when it was ready to eat.
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    You may not get the same results with stevia. I think that the sugar not only makes the jam sweet, but it also helps it to "set up".

Last year, I made rhubarb jam with rhubarb, sugar, and sugar-free jello. It tasted fine but was very runny. This year, I made rhubarb jam with rhubarb, sugar, and regular jello. It tasted just as good, but it is actually much stiffer (if that makes sense).

The way I see it, you should probably have no more than a tablespoon of jam at a time (although the really yummy stuff makes you want to guzzle a whole jar!!!), so why not go for the real stuff?

Here's what allrecipes.com says about using sugar and other sweeteners:
    Sugar: Sugar inhibits the growth of bacteria, keeping your jam fresh, fruity, and safe to eat. Jam recipes are formulated to call for a certain ratio of pectin to sugar, and they will not jell properly if you don't use the correct amount of sugar. If you'd like to make less-sweet jam, you'll need to buy a special kind of pectin that's formulated to work with less sugar and follow the proportions as given to you on the package.

Making freezer jam is delicious and incredibly easy. With traditional jam, you thicken the fruit by cooking it and boiling it down. In making freezer jam, however, you use pectin to thicken. And since you don't cook the fruit, the jam tastes intensely like the fresh fruit itself.

From the looks of this, I just may be making freezer jam when my raspberries ripen!

Cheers! :drinker:

Yes, this is what I figured, but was hoping that since Stevia was a plant, the chemical reaction would remain the same. Hrmph, I'm still torn as to whether to try it. . . maybe if I were to try a half batch so as not to ruin all my boss' berries. :laugh:

I have managed to stick to a tablespoon (and 2 in the case of the full PBJ :wink: ) at a time, problem is I can't keep from dipping in there more than once a day! :tongue:
  • iRun4wine
    Options

I was thinking the same thing :laugh: I just didn't want to be the one that asked...

Ehh... I'm not shy!! :blushing:

But I don't think anyone answered our question... unless I missed it? :huh:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options

Deborah did! C&Pd:

• iRun4wine
    Options

Deborah did! C&Pd:

Oh yes- I'm sorry! I accidentally overlooked it :ohwell:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options

Deborah did! C&Pd:

Oh yes- I'm sorry! I accidentally overlooked it :ohwell:

Not a problem. I could have answered by saying it's a tiny jar of heaven, but the above definition seemed a little more complete. :wink:
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    Just eat the plain rasperries.......plain fruit is a dessert too! Also Stevia and Spelenda are 0 cal. but they have fake sweetners that can be bad for you!! Id stick with the regular sugar flavored jam and eat less of it! to help not temp you bring some other healthy snacks like crackers, cheese, and fresh fruit!:laugh:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    Just eat the plain rasperries.......plain fruit is a dessert too! Also Stevia and Spelenda are 0 cal. but they have fake sweetners that can be bad for you!! Id stick with the regular sugar flavored jam and eat less of it! to help not temp you bring some other healthy snacks like crackers, cheese, and fresh fruit!:laugh:

Never occurred to me to put fresh raspberries in a peanut butter sandwich, but I bet that would be lovely.

I hadn't heard that Stevia had anything fake in it before?? What exactly is in it? I thought it was the "natural alternative".

Learn so much every day here!
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options

Never occurred to me to put fresh raspberries in a peanut butter sandwich, but I bet that would be lovely.

I hadn't heard that Stevia had anything fake in it before?? What exactly is in it? I thought it was the "natural alternative".

Learn so much every day here!

its all a big scam! jk:smile: try bananas.....they r great with pb! hey nothing is really bad in stevia but the "fiber stuff" that they add in it makes u sick! also try agave nectar.....its sorta like honey!!!