Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH cardio???

Options
Here's my deal, on any given day it's not unheard of for me to run 30 minutes in the morning (burning about 300 calories), then taking 2 walk breaks at 4 mph for a total of 20 minutes, then walking uneven terrain on my lunch for about 30-40 minutes. This wouldn't include my post-strength gym session after work where I jump on the elliptical for another half hour. This is, I'm working constantly so I'm definitely working myself, but would that be too much? If I tally just my calories burned from a day as that I'm looking at least a 1000. Does that sound right? This has been consistently my schedule for the past week and I'm only getting stronger with it.

Replies

• ptrad
    ptrad Posts: 22
    Options
    How do you feel? Your body might adapt to all that activity and then you have to change something up. Keep that in mind.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    as long as you make sure that you're replenishing your body with good nutrients and electrolytes, then it shouldn't be a problem. if you're going to work out this much each day though, you should definitely give you're body a day or two off throughout the week.

i would definitely recommend gatorade for you. water alone is not going to replenish the electrolytes lost through sweat.

also, definitely make sure you're eating most if not all of your exercise calories.
  • stormdragon777
    Options
    I fee great, rejuvenated even. Oh and I definitely give my body a day or two of rest. The way my workouts are planned is I'll mix it up every 2 weeks to hopefully keep my body guessing and from finding it's "steady state." But yes, I'll keep the gatorade in full supply.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you ENJOY that much activity, do what you like. I'm sure there is a such thing as too much, but I wouldn't classify what you described as such. I think we would do about that much if not more if we didn't drive cars and have tv's and computers anyway.
    I would suggest a day or two off as omid990 suggested. And make sure you are balancing your activities. I say that because I developed Petella Femor Syndrome and my osteo dr. told me that it was mostly because of my intense workouts (I had a very similar workout to yours) Anyway, he told me that it was ok, but to make sure I balance proper strength training with it and make sure I work all my muscle groups equally. Of course that was an extreme situation with a few other factors, but he did have a good point.
    :happy:
  • stormdragon777
    Options
    If you ENJOY that much activity, do what you like. I'm sure there is a such thing as too much, but I wouldn't classify what you described as such. I think we would do about that much if not more if we didn't drive cars and have tv's and computers anyway.
    I would suggest a day or two off as omid990 suggested. And make sure you are balancing your activities. I say that because I developed Petella Femor Syndrome and my osteo dr. told me that it was mostly because of my intense workouts (I had a very similar workout to yours) Anyway, he told me that it was ok, but to make sure I balance proper strength training with it and make sure I work all my muscle groups equally. Of course that was an extreme situation with a few other factors, but he did have a good point.
    :happy:

Well I definitely make sure cardio of that frequency isn't all I do. I do strength training as well to keep my body strong! Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with loving exercise, and if you're doing it because you love it, go for it! As long as you're eating enough, I say more power to you. :smile: