Counteracting Sodium???

Options
I understand our body needs some sodium but no matter how much I try to keep it to a minimum, so many foods have a high sodium content. Even much of low-calorie or low-fat/fat free foods seem to have high amounts of sodium. I get these delicious soups for lunch that are low-cal and filling but they're crazy on the Sodium content! I drink an obscene amount of water a day, hoping to at least flush SOME of that sodium and I've been draining my soups of the excess sodium but I wonder if that's enough. It almost seems like you either have to get low-cal/fat high sodium or high cal/fat with average sodium. It's a little maddening...

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your cooking ability is, but what about making your own soups? One day, I'll roast a whole chicken in the crockpot. That night, I'll shred it, and thow the meat back in the pot, along with other assorted veggies and some stock. Sometimes, I'll throw noodles or dumplings in, but it's good just as is too. It's thicker than canned soups, more like a stew. It's enough for us (family of 6) to eat for dinner once, lunch once, and freeze half for another two sets of meals.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I found that eating 'regular' fat foods and lowering my sodium helped more than eating 'diet' food that was processed with salt and fillers.

Fat isn't bad for you (I keep reminding myself). We need fat for our skin, brain, eyes and hair. I've found that fat wasn't my problem anyway. It was serving size and activity level that were doing me in.

Maybe you could try going low sodium for a week or two and see how that feels? Eat regular food but just watch the portions. Might work well for you too, like it does for me. :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that fat intake is not a big problem for me, and I'm doing OK with keeping my calories on track, so if I can find a product with lower sodium that might have a little more fat or calories, I'd go for the lower sodium item, but my sodium is often over the recommended amount too. My problem is I can't cook, so I eat a lot of prepackaged frozen things. I think those who actually prepare the majority of their own food have less problems keeping their sodium in check.

I hate how much salt is in EVERYthing. Sugar too. It's actually quite infuriating that it's even allowed.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Whole Foods are best, anything processed will always have too much salt. If only we had time to cook right...........:laugh: