low calorie-low carb

Options
djf23
djf23 Posts: 58 Member
i was wondering if you simultaneously do a low carb whilst keep the calories low will it have an advantage
as in whilst losing in the first place and also once you have reached your goal will it make it easier to keep it off by just adding carb so long as the calorie intake is at the amount for maintaining that weight

thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i was wondering if you simultaneously do a low carb whilst keep the calories low will it have an advantage
    as in whilst losing in the first place and also once you have reached your goal will it make it easier to keep it off by just adding carb so long as the calorie intake is at the amount for maintaining that weight

Partly depends on your definition of "low".

If you eat low carb ketogenic - Atkins etc - with less than 35g of carbohydrate then you are likely to be around 1200 - 1500 calories anyway as there's a limit to how much fat and protein we can eat without feeling stuffed.

Eating 50-100g of protein (= 200 - 400 calories) a day to preserve & maintain muscles etc is a good idea. 20-35g of carbohydrate is another 80 - 140 calories. After that it's all fats and oils.

At http://pinterest.com/lcuk/atkins/ you can see the graph out of a low carb science book about the progression of calories and carbs through the stages of a diet.
  • djf23
    djf23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Partly depends on your definition of "low".

If you eat low carb ketogenic - Atkins etc - with less than 35g of carbohydrate then you are likely to be around 1200 - 1500 calories anyway as there's a limit to how much fat and protein we can eat without feeling stuffed.

Eating 50-100g of protein (= 200 - 400 calories) a day to preserve & maintain muscles etc is a good idea. 20-35g of carbohydrate is another 80 - 140 calories. After that it's all fats and oils.

At http://pinterest.com/lcuk/atkins/ you can see the graph out of a low carb science book about the progression of calories and carbs through the stages of a diet.

hey there thanks for replying... ive found that i have been eating in that range of 1200-1500 and its enough to fill me up well

i tend to eat quite a high amount of protein but i do a fair bit of weight training