What do you eat when you feel faint and shakey?

Options
124»

Replies

• virginiaboersen
    Options
    Drink a chicken bouillon cube! Seriously, it will work with in minutes! You will feel great!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I Life saver, no joke. Then I get protein in to me ASAP!!! (I have insulin reactive hypoglycemia)
    And consult an endocrinologist ASAP if this happens to you a lot.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and felt dizzy I would drink a glass of Ovaltine and that always did the trick!
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic, and get shaky when I don't eat the right things (or when I don't eat enough). The only way to avoid it for me is to avoid everything with sugar and eat things high in protein. Cottage cheese, greek yogert, almonds... things like that!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    What you are describing is an insulin spike and not at all a good sign, especially if you just ate. Please have the doctor check you, and before you go for your appt, keep track of when you have them...log it in your MFP diary notes then print out your diary to give to your doctor.

I used to have difficulty keeping my insulin balanced, but I use a chromium yeast supplement and it has made a huge difference. Before anything though, GO GET CHECKED. It could be a sign of a blood sugar/insulin issue that left untreated could be very dangerous.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    pitted dates, organic chocolate, organic yogurt covered raisins are all things I've had recently to help with that. It happens more when the weather is hot
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This happens to me everyday. When it does, I think I'm low in iron or potassium so I eat a quick dairy snack. I'm pescatarian, I'm guessing this has something to do with it. Eating a lot of small meals would probably be best, I'm trying to do that myself.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I'm vegan. And I almost always hit over my proteins. Feel free to browse my chow.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    One other person said it but I will reiterate: Coconut water! All the way. It gives me stamina for rock climbing/lifting/hot yoga and stops the shaky feelings. Sweet potatoes are also high in potassium.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I keep packets of almond butter readily available in my purse or desk. 90 calorie packets that give the right amount of energy
  • Theresafinallygetsitright
    Options
    Lactose does a better job of raising your blood sugar without dropping you back off again and since it sounds like you may be a bit low when you are feeling like that. I concur with the chocolate milk or try yogurt.
  • ler2665
    ler2665 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for years and have a history of this as well. It has happened MUCH less often since joining the site, as that pie chart on the app helps me keep an eye on my protein. I'm sure I was barely eating any before! Anyway, I grab a string cheese. It is healthy and low-cal, and won't spike your sugars like that banana you're currently using.

p.s. have you tried Quorn Naked Chik'n Cutlets? A yummy 80 cals. That's where I've started getting my protein from at least 3 days a week.

:-)
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have what I have and my sister has. Yes I would go see a dr about it. I am not not saying you do have it but it sounds like you have the same thing because I have the same issue. My sister has it a little worse then I do. We both have "Hypoglycemia". I got it real bad when I was pregnant. You just have to make sure you eat Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, and Dinner. Try not go with out food for a long period of time because that usually causes that. I told the dr about it and she told me to make sure to carry crackers with you and leave them in your purse. Buy food for the house and buy healthy snacks on the go. But if you are in a real hurry to grab anything or make anything always keep your purse stocked full of crackers. It can be plain, cheese, or peanut butter. I would go see a dr and get it checked out. I need to go back my self because the drs are taking there sweet time getting back to me about it. :)
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for your responses, I have just had a quick read through but will take on board all of it

I am going to make an appointment with the doctor and get checked out.

Guess what it happened today and I had a piece of wholemeal toast with peanut butter and I am good now, this happened 3 hours after eating weetabix too, and drinking plenty of fluids!!

Will check out the diary too to see what other Veggies are eating - thank you everyone you are all so kind