yoga buddies

Options
I am new to yoga and I do gentle hatha yoga at home using 3 different DVDs. I use it not only to tone my body, but to keep stress levels down!

I am pretty new at it and would love to have some yoga buddies to share tips with and support/encourage/motivate each other!

What sort of yoga do you do?

Please add me as your friend! I am a daily user!

:)

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I took a class in college.... 3 days a week...

now I make up my own routines... and I have a couple I use... and I do something my teacher called LSD (long slow deep) I take each position for between a minute and three minutes... and then transitions I take 30 seconds or so... I hold and deepen into the move.... I don't have any of my routines written...

to make a routine I use http://www.yogajournal.com... decide what I want to work on and search for poses that work that area... I have a routine that mostly works my back... one that mostly works my legs.... each routine I do takes about an hour... and I do it probably three times a week
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips!

I will check out the website! :)
    sounds great!
    I took a class in college.... 3 days a week...

now I make up my own routines... and I have a couple I use... and I do something my teacher called LSD (long slow deep) I take each position for between a minute and three minutes... and then transitions I take 30 seconds or so... I hold and deepen into the move.... I don't have any of my routines written...

to make a routine I use http://www.yogajournal.com... decide what I want to work on and search for poses that work that area... I have a routine that mostly works my back... one that mostly works my legs.... each routine I do takes about an hour... and I do it probably three times a week
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    the site has really good definitions of poses and such... so if you already know yoga... and don't want to go to class...

I also find that the classes/dvd's move MUCH more quickly and transition much faster than I want/am able to... I am a big lady (was 300+ when I started yoga) but I am very flexible... so it takes me longer to move there... also I don't do yoga for cardio... so I like it slow!!!

plus I find that the classes/dvd's are much more metaphysical (third eye and chakras and such) than I want to go... I just want a good stretch... I don't want the yoga "religion"
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    ty so much! I sent u a pal request!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do Yoga twice a week at the YMCA... my running friends swore by it for a good stretch and increase flexability and it really has improved my flexability a lot. I don't even feel goofy anymore being the only man in the room. I used to. hahaha...

Been going for 6 months now and can tell a huge difference from when I started.
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    I tried yoga at the Y... they were HOT and FAST... I couldn't even stay a whole class...
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    gotta try it! :)
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Yoga 2x per week at the Y. My Sat morning class is Vinyasa flow and Tuesday night is Ashtanga Rocket. Both are relatively quick moving sweaty classes. I love going to the gym and running or using the eliptical first and then going right to yoga. I feel like being warm lets me open up so much more.

That's too bad you're the only guy in your classes. At my Y it's probably about a 60/40 ratio of women to men. My husband does it too. I think men, especially those who run and lift weights can really benefit from the increased flexibility from practicing yoga.
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    awesome
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    There is a yoga group for anyone that would like to join:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MMmmmm, yoga!

I go to a class at my gym - it's a nice cross between a vinyasa and iyangar style, and I love it! I keep trying to figure out what I can move off my schedule in order to take more classes, but alas: life! *laugh*

i find myself using yoga-think even when I'm doing my lifting or cardio now, too: "ok, focus on what this part f your body is doing; how can you make it better? Slow down, pull that back, push that further" Hee!
  • uk_angeldust
    Options
    thanks so much for posting ladies! :)