Looking for support

Options
I am heading to my mom's house for the next three days and I always have a problem with eating way too much when I am there. She makes the best food. She is one of those people that is stuck in good old fashion cooking which will put lots of pounds on my body. I hate to tell her that I can't eat it when I know she only made it because I was in town. Anyone ever get to where they have problems saying no to family? Any ideas?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    make sure to exercise, and portion out the food. Fill up on the veggies and salads...........but ENJOY mom's cooking. It isnt like you eat like that every day.

:heart: Jeannie
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    Americans like us always tend to over eat so I'd ask for smaller portions!! Also bring along some healthy snaks like granola/nuts to eat instead! Also, tell her about "the buy one get one free fruits at Winn Dixie" or the "Locked in Low Price":smile: :
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    you lost 32 lbs!! CONGRATS!!! :smile:
    And you lost 10!!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could take some healthy snacks or recipes or dishes to share. Show her (gently, of course) how you're eating now & how much better you feel. Don't just tell her - bring it or make it so it seems more helpful than critical.
    Don't be pushy - we moms sometimes base our self worth on how we feed those we love.
    You can educate her a little though, in the process.
    :heart:
    At our house, everyone comes home for special occasions & expects those traditional foods to be served as if that's what I always cook. It's weird, but we only have those high-fat foods when everyone is here to help us eat it! :wink:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Have fun. Family is what really matters.
  • mdb120776
    mdb120776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input.. I will definately bring some healthy snacks for me and my kids, although they love eating all grandmas cookies and ice cream. I just have to remember to portion myself. It will be hard but I got my mind set.