CAn't be trusted ... obviously!

Options
Hi all

I started in January and did really well, ultimately losing 6kg ... but somehow, and I really don't know how (!!), it has all started to go back on - just as the summer arrives - ARGH!

Totally cheesed off with self ... but hoping to refocus. Am in Scotland, so particularly looking for help and inspiration (you need it with this weather, trust me!) but anyone who has a kind word and a minute to share, I would particularly love the support.

Thanks!
Ginny

Replies

• Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ginny,

I spent two years in Scotland (Maryland USA now) at the navy base in Holy Loch and loved it there. The Summers were terrific (except for the midgies) and I would go for long bike rides and hikes into the forests. I remember lots of people on base would find many opportunities to go for jogs around Dunoon, so Scotland cannot be all that bad!

Good luck
  • Jaq63
    Jaq63 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dont be to hard on yourself, for most people losing weight is an uphill battle, and we all have slip ups along the way..

Just dont give up trying!!

Good luck.:)
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You just pick yourself up and start again. :)
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland too, add me if you like :) love to share motivation :)
  • lorigreg
    lorigreg Posts: 61
    Options
    I can totally relate because I did the same thing and now my weight is even higher then when I started back in January. So, on Monday I started again and joined a Zumba class. I'm 54 years old about 50 pounds overweight and so this isn't easy but I am determined. I found the Zumba class difficult but oh so much fun. One Day At A Time! You can do it!
  • Todd08
    Todd08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I was doing so well last year, lost 50lb, but haven't done so well in the last month or so. I'm back at it!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds so far and was 340 when I started. When I got down to 305 I told myself that I need to get below 300. I wanted it BADLY. I finally got to 295 and was so happy. Not even a week later I started eating wrong and stopped working out. I stopped logging on here and stopped tracking my food. After a month I started feeling bad again. No energy, eating all the time to satify whatever emotional things that were going on instead of coping with things the way I knew I should cope with them. To make a long story short, I gained 15 pounds. I was so mad at myself and felt like "I couldn't be trusted" with anything and couldn't do this weight loss thing. It's been 4 months since this and I've hopped back on here and lost the 15 pounds as well as 15 more pounds. If I can do it I know you can. Just get back on track and you'll be fine.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and we can support each other! You can do this!
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    I'm in Scotland too and I don't know what the weather is like in your part, but this sunshine is super inspiring to me! Knowing that one day I'll be able to wear cute summer clothes in this weather just pushes me harder :). Good luck shedding that 6kg again, you've done it before so you can definitely do it again :).
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Welcome back to MFP :) I started in January, then stopped and came back last month and have lost 12lbs since then although just had surgery so not really sure what my weight is at the moment!

I am UK also so I'll give you an ad - it's always helpful to have friends in same timezone and weather hehe.

Lottie x
  • Gingerlockz
    Gingerlockz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, joined 2 months ago and shed a few pounds then fell off the wagon. Now I'm back at zero. Feel free to add me, we can support each other :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! IT ALL TAKES TIME AND PATIENCE!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I started in January and did really well, ultimately losing 6kg ... but somehow, and I really don't know how (!!), it has all started to go back on - just as the summer arrives - ARGH!

Totally cheesed off with self ... but hoping to refocus. Am in Scotland, so particularly looking for help and inspiration (you need it with this weather, trust me!) but anyone who has a kind word and a minute to share, I would particularly love the support.

Thanks!
    Ginny
    It can be hard when you lose some weight and you start to feel good and then before you know it your treating yourself too much and not putting in the effort.

Unfortunately, and you have to learn it the hard way sometimes, life's just a b*tch and if you are prone to overeating and gaining weight, then there's only one answer to it all: eat less and move more

Try and re-focus with a set of mini goals which are realistic and achievable.

♦ Perhaps you like swimming, so say your goal is to go to the pool at least twice a week and swim 50 lengths or 30mins.
    ♦ If you find it too hard to lose 2lbs a week, try losing 2lbs a month. Cut out the sweets or crisps or whatever it is you snack on that might be hindering your progress.
    ♦ Go shopping and find a killer summer outfit and buy it one or two sizes too small. Now, you've got a real incentive to lose weight and get into shape for that outfit.

I know it's not easy - goodness knows I've struggled and yo-yo'd in the past - but these are some of the tricks I've found recently help me.

Good luck!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I can imagine you've been through some tough times lately. I'm very sorry to hear of your recent loss.

I went on a bus tour through Scotland back in the 90's. It'a a beautiful country, and I'd love to get back there someday. My grandmother was a MacDonald, it's in the blood. :))

Feel free to add me, if you like. Lisa
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Venturin wrote...
    I spent two years in Scotland (Maryland USA now) at the navy base in Holy Loch and loved it there. The Summers were terrific (except for the midgies) and I would go for long bike rides and hikes into the forests. I remember lots of people on base would find many opportunities to go for jogs around Dunoon, so Scotland cannot be all that bad!
    My mum and dad met in Dunoon as teenagers and I grew up on the Clyde Coast. I do remember the summers were terrific, but much too short. I also remember as a wee boy going on holiday in the middle of June - we were headed for Mull in our yacht and got stormbound on the west of Kintyre as it was force 9 gales, hail and snow. :laugh:
  • Evadeeva86
    Evadeeva86 Posts: 3
    Options
    Ginny,

That is so easy to do! Last spring I lost 17 lbs...and then proceeded to gain it back and then some. Sometimes it helps to ask yourself why it happened and what changed...but sometimes that is not helpful and you just have to get back on the horse and figure it out as you go. But You did it once, you can do it again! You may learn more from this setback then from all of your sucesses combined, so in the long run it may be the best thing that has happened to you on your weight loss journey. Stick with it day by day and have a plan for hard times...like weekends and parties.

Good Luck!
  • amallia921
    amallia921 Posts: 51
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • mygrlz02
    mygrlz02 Posts: 32
    Options
    We can do this!! Add me! =)
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Kyle4Jem -
    Venturin wrote...
    My mum and dad met in Dunoon as teenagers and I grew up on the Clyde Coast. I do remember the summers were terrific, but much too short. I also remember as a wee boy going on holiday in the middle of June - we were headed for Mull in our yacht and got stormbound on the west of Kintyre as it was force 9 gales, hail and snow. :laugh:

Yes the Summers were much too short. It was really something to have the light of the Summer day last until 10PM! It's a really nice part of the world, I would ride my bike along Loch Lomond and absolutely loved it.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In Scotland too, feel free to add :), made the mistake of trying a bike ride in today's sun, bad move, thought I was going to die!!