can u be weight loss resistant?

Options
if someone is only eating 1200-1300 calories a day for their diet.... for a month, and only loses 2lbs.

can someone be weight-loss resistant???

Replies

• ashleyjea1985
    Options
    if someone is only eating 1200-1300 calories a day for their diet.... for a month, and only loses 2lbs.

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think that what you're referring to would actually probably be a slow metabolism, that would slow weight-loss. If you think it's a real problem, I would suggest consulting a doctor, they usually are happy to give advice in this area. Just my thoughts.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I have another question...are you losing inches? I remember when I was thin trying to lose 10 lbs and its was like pulling teeth...same thing very limited diet worked out like crazy and it was very frustrating....but my pants began to be really baggy, my waist shrunk and I was in really good shape, still the scale only showed like a few pounds which pissed me off! lol (I would not care now LOL...)

but definitely seek out a drs opinnion!

good luck!
    Ali
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    It's possible that you're at your ideal weight. Are you exercising? Consider kicking your exercise routine up a bit, adding some variation, or going for a longer amount of time. Also, is your protein intake high enough? Increasing daily proten intake and adding weight training on top of your cardio workout will help you build more muscle. Since muscles require more calories to maintain, building muscle will help your body burn more calories! Hope this helps. :smile:
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    i weight 133.

i started this month at 135.

i lost TWO pounds thats it!

i eat only 1200-1300 calories!!!
    to what USED To be 2000-3000!!

i havent eaten MCDONALDS in a MONTH!

i dont get why the scales havent changed at ALL!!!!!!!!

this is ridiculous. i may as well eat what i want and weight two lbs more!
  • monicakelly21
    Options
    Hey just to let you know I am in the same boat!! I exercise almost everyday, and my weight flutuates between 135 and 137.

I went from usually eating over 2000 cal a day, to eating 1300 to 1800 depending on what exercise I am doing.

I have been measuring my waist and it does seem to be shrinking from 34 to a 32.5.

I know it sucks not to see the scale go down more, however the closer you are to your ideal weight the harder it is.
    give yourself at least three months to see more of the results you want.

I feel your pain!!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just last week you didn't lose any so I see you lost 2 pounds did you up your calorie intake? If so good then your in the right direction. And you should see more weeks like this one with results. If not then your losing is going to be slow like it has been. And your metabolism is probably slow due to not eating enough for over a month. So if you really want this take the advise of everyone and stick with it and be patient.
  • manchack
    Options
    Me too! I am stuck between 135 and 138. It is driving me bonkers! I work out everyday and limit my calories between 1300-1800 also. But like you I am shrinking pretty much everywhere EXCEPT MY THIGHS! I feel like I am just beating my head against the wall. This week I have really felt like giving up but I can see now that others are going through the same thing. I REALLY don't want to take pills but I am at a loss. I guess I will keep plugging away!
    KM
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose the slower it will come off.

Perhaps you should meet with a nutritionist or personal trainer and have your body fat percentage checked. I had a goal weight chosen and then discovered that my body fat was already quite low. Essentially, I couldn't lose any more weight and be healthy, so instead I am concentrating on building muscle while lowering my body fat percentage.

We are often tied to an arbitrary goal number, which defeats the purpose of being healthier. At least I know this was true for me.

And, as far as weight loss goes, there are many people who would be very happy with two pounds in two weeks. That's a pound a week. I have never lost a pound in a week.:flowerforyou:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options

I've read that you can be and it's usually from things like medications you are taking or thyroid issues and some genetic disorders. Only a doctor could tell you for sure.
  • fanaticalbattle
    Options
    The reasoning for it is because you are at a point where you don't weigh a lot anymore

130 isn't a lot

so working out is toning you, as opposed to burning a lot of fat because muscle weighs Much much more than fat.....so you should go on how you look, not the number on the scale.
  • ginnyg
    ginnyg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow I would love to be 130lbs! I want to be 165lbs again (and I was a us size 8) maybe this is your correct weight - if you are working out a lot you are creating muscle and its proven that that is heavier than fat - get the measuring tape out and check - also get a body fat analyser they are great and even if your not losing weight you may be losing body fat!

keep going and be an inspiration to all of us out there!

G x:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ashley,

The only thing I could really tell you is that our bodies have an equillibrium. If you are close (say within 20 lbs either way) of our optimum weight, weight loss will become more difficult. An easy example is if you have watched the biggest looser in the past you will notice, that initial weight comes off in big chuncks, but as a body moves closer to their "perfect" weight, the loss goes down as the body ramps up muscle production and starts reconfiguring it's inner processes.

Remember, your body doesn't like loosing lots of weight any more then it likes gaining lots of weight, it will attempt to stay at a weight that it feels comfortable with. To alter weight when you are close to goal, a lot of times you have to alter your body type first. I.E. add muscle to certain area's that may be weaker then others, strengthen muscles that might not be as conditioned (the difference being, muscle has two ways of changing, adding tissue, and increasing efficiency, the former adds mass, the latter just increases density of existing tissue). And muscle burns calories, even at rest, so this will help keep weight off in the long run.

So after all that stuff, my advice is, if you are close, loss will become slower. I would personally advise everyone that when they come close to their goal, start using body fat % as a bigger tool then weight loss, and start using performance tracking as a tool, I.E. how many reps did I do last week compared to this week, how long can I run at this speed before stopping...etc. these are indicators of total body health. Weight can be deceving, I haven't lost a lb in months because I am near where I need to be, but my body fat % has come down almost 2 % this month, so I am VERY happy.

I hope this helps!