12 hr shifts and workouts

Options
for those who work 12hr shifts with a family how do you get a workout in?

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you, you'll make time for yourself. Sometimes you have to make yourself a priority.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did....

Look up DC traing (DoggCrapp) It's a 3 to 4 days a week. With the right diet you can make any goal happen with this style of
    workout. It can be worked around 12's pretty easy.

Also...

When I worked 12's. We worked a 2day off week and a 5day off week. I worked out a lot just on my days off.
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    definitely on my days off. When I work 12's I can't, I just can't as you know. I also work 8 hours (which maybe you never do) and then I will go to yoga after work before I pick up my kids from the babysitter. On my days off I run at 6 am before kids are up and hubby goes to work. Sometimes I only get 3 days, others I get 5-6 days/week. I do what I can. I am losing weight and toning, slowly, but surely. I do have some options for exercise at home, but after the 12 hours I am to exhausted..
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts (7am - 7:30pm). I TRY to get my workouts in in the morning, and since I don't really have time to make it to the gym in the morning I do a workout dvd ... something around 30 minutes like 30 day shred. Otherwise, I pack my gym clothes with me and leave them in my car and drive straight to the gym after work nomatter how exhausted I am. Usually once I get going on whatever cardio machine I have enough energy to finish the workout. It's rough but I gotta do it!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't even try on the days that I work. So on my off days, I try to do twice as long as I would if I did every day. We work 2 days on, 2 off, and every other weekend, so it's really not difficult to still get 3 workouts a week one week, 4 the next, and try to keep both at close to an hour at least. I don't always make it, but I try.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer but I'm struggling terribly at the moment so will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    Doing 6 days a week too at the moment and I've gone from 5 gym classes a week to NOTHING. Why is it the less you do the less you want to do? :ohwell:
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I worked 12 hour shifts for years and I would get my workout in during my lunch break. Our company has an onsite gym, but I also lead a group workout session with some of my friends a few days a week. I created workouts combining free weights cardio and sometimes we used various workout videos.
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    On my days off.

In January I did 30DS and even getting that 20 min workout in was stressful, I generally only work 2X a week, so that still leaves 5 days to kill it :)

I also set a weekly calorie burned goal (like 4000 cal burned a week and double up on workouts on my off days if needed)
  • philfinallyfit
    philfinallyfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't just feel your pain...I am experiencing it for the first time after years of the luxury of a totally different profession. What I have done is chosen to not allow myself to be done with the day until I work out, immediately after work. And the most efficient way I know to do that is running. I go to a high school track on the way home, sometimes changing in the car, and run for 30 minutes. At first it was walk/run/walk, then run/walk, and now it's just run run run! Together with eating plan, I have lost 20 lbs. since I started, which was Day One of these dreadful 12 hour days back on April 9th. The structure has helped me, but I am single, and don't know how tough it would be in your situation. But the principle is to make it happen regardless...and in my case I am doing that amidst not only 12 hour days, but also no days off (thru Sept. 9th).
  • jewels68
    jewels68 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm switching to 12's too. I can still walk during the day. But will have more days off to go to the gym. :) And do the fun things.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    when i worked 12 hr day shifts i couldn't do it my body just didn't hold up when i worked night shifts i could get 3 days in but again it made for long 12 hr shifts good luck if you're in a job where your're on your feet a lot this can be extremely hard i couldn't do it
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    for those who work 12hr shifts with a family how do you get a workout in?

I wake up earlier get them in before I leave for work!
  • wedmath17
    wedmath17 Posts: 2
    Options
    It's practically impossible for me to get a work out in on the days I work 12+ hrs so I do what some of your other repliers do. I exercise on my days off. Working 3 days a week leaves 4 off a week to do what I need to do. Good luck finding a way that works for you.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    3 days out of the week I work 2 jobs and I work every other Saturday, it is one reason I gained so much weight. It is hard to find the time, along with everything else life calls for. I only get 30 minutes for lunch and there is no on site gym or one close by. I just have to go on the 2 days when I only work one job. Sometimes I go late after I get off but try to make those my quick 30 min workouts. I also have to force myself to go on the weekends. IF I didn't have to be at work between 6am-7am I would attempt an early morning workout but my gym opens at 5 so that just isn't helpful. It is hard to find the time but you just have to do it when you can. I also asked my husband to be more helpful with household things so I wasn't so stressed about going to the gym when 352 loads of laundry needed to be done.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I did....

Look up DC traing (DoggCrapp) It's a 3 to 4 days a week. With the right diet you can make any goal happen with this style of
    workout. It can be worked around 12's pretty easy.

Also...

When I worked 12's. We worked a 2day off week and a 5day off week. I worked out a lot just on my days off.
    doing that shift now ,short week is great long week a killer for training ,
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wake up earlier get them in before I leave for work!

What do you do? x
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I spend 1 hour commute to work in the AM and another hour in the PM. I work 10 hours +1 hour for lunch. I leave my home at 7AM, often not returning until 8:30PM because I tend to spend time with my parents in the PM.

I'm also a single mother to a 16 month old. I work out on my days off. It's harder with a little one, but on my days off, I walk briskly for 4 milles, weather permitting, while he is sleeping in his stroller. If the weather is bad, I put him to sleep in his bed, and do cardio in the living room. I've started to incorporate weight training as well, which I can do at night when he is sleeping.

It's hard, but it's worth it. The changes I see in my body every week amaze me.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I work two 12-hour shifts a week which actually usually end up turning into 14-16 hours each-- I usually just don't work out on those days, but I do take the stairs throughout the day. I make up for it during the week usually.
  • Gemma1317
    Gemma1317 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work out in my lunch break. It's the only time I have spare in the day!
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't work for 12 hours, but I commute two hours to and from work, which makes my overall work day about 12 hours.

Two nights a week I go to the gym straight after work for about two hours, and then make the trip home. My fiance makes dinner those nights and I eat late. I also do a home workout on Saturday mornings when we don't have too many errands to run. It's definitely not easy, but you need to set aside the time to take care of yourself. I find that getting to the gym is the hardest part. Once I start my workout, the energy seems to come back.