Let you tell me about Yoga.

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I have back pain going on three months. In the last week, it's developed into the worst pain ever, and is irritating beyond belief. Lower spine, you are so tedious. I've been doing the little stretches my doctor sent, but they only relieve pain while I'm doing them.

My pals keep bringing Yoga up, and I'd be stupid not to try it.

I have Wii Yoga, but I'm not so sure it's that great. I played with it last night, but I wonder if modifying the positions for the balance board is problematic.

Is there a particular DVD that isn't terribly boring? One that really helps with core strength and mobility?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try to do yoga on your own until you've been instructed by someone who knows what he or she is doing, ESPECIALLY if you are having pain. You can make it much, much worse.

Take a class with a qualified instructor and tell the instructor what's going on with your back. And I hope your doctor did more than just send you stretches. You've had it looked at, right?
  • wellbert
    Options
    Nope, he just sent me this online interactive back pain guide. I haven't pushed him too much on it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Nope, he just sent me this online interactive back pain guide. I haven't pushed him too much on it.
    You need to be seen. Back pain could be any number of things, from muscle spasm to a disc issue.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    yoga is great! i do jillian michaels yoga meltdown and don't find it boring at all! i have a healthy back and some positions i have to ease my way into because they hurt my back at first but get easier with time. you may want to listen to the op and find a good instuctor:0)
  • rml_16
    Options
    yoga is great! i do jillian michaels yoga meltdown and don't find it boring at all! i have a healthy back and some positions i have to ease my way into because they hurt my back at first but get easier with time. you may want to listen to the op and find a good instuctor:0)

Yoga should never be painful. If the position is hurting you, you're not doing it right. This is why people need to take classes and not try to learn from DVDs.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Looks like my gym discontinued their yoga program this month. :|
  • rml_16
    Options
    Look for a studio. The instructors are probably better trained, anyway. And the classes aren't that expensive. But I still think you need to see your doctor.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Sir!

I have no knowledge of any good instructional yoga DVDs or interactive games. :(

But, as I have had a little experience with yoga I wanted to make the sales pitch for giving a class a try!

Yoga just like weights, martial arts and many other forms of exercise & training requires that the movements be done properly. Poor form and execution can cause more harm than good. In addition many of the postures have some very simple starting/preparation movements that help build up the required flexibility. And, just like forms & katas, there are some postures and transitions that flow from one to the other in a progression that works towards a particular goal. ie - a series of progressive pressures on the abdomen to increase blood flow to the major organs in an effort to improve their efficiency.

So, for a beginner, I would recommend trying a class lead by a qualified/certified instructor. An instructor informed of any problems, such as lower back issues, can guide you through movements that can slowly help your body heal/recover from the back problems. And, at the same time help you avoid those movements that may exacerbate your back problems.

When I started Capoeira, I was obese and horribly out of shape! After a few months of pushing hard, I was in pain everywhere and all the time! From my wrists to my ankles! especially my knees, shoulders and lower back! My Capoeira instructor suggested to me that I give yoga a try. Like you I was very hesitant to join the pretty much all girl yoga classes.Fortunate for me, my wife decided to join with me! This was the best decision I have made with regards to my fitness! I took the yoga class for only two sessions (fall & winter). This gave me enough of a base knowledge for the simple movements that I could continue on my own. Now, yoga stretching is an integral part of all my independent work out routines. My personal feeling is that this "training" helps me keep up with the younger people in my classes and helps me avoid injuries.

Regardless of my thoughts/opinions, I very much hope you find something that helps you heal so that you can get back to the style of training you enjoy!
  • wellbert
    Options
    That sounds really promising, and I see the light on going with an instructor.

The problem is, the last time I checked classes were $125-200 a month. :/ Which is way out of my price range.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

The problem is, the last time I checked classes were $125-200 a month. :/ Which is way out of my price range.
    Check around your community. I took it once through the local school system (most community education programs offer summer classes) and it cost me maybe $40 for 8 weeks of beginning yoga. It might not have been the greatest instructors, but I got the gist of it and they showed us how to do the moves correctly.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

You should be able to try the first class for free. I wouldn't go to any studio that was that expensive. Most places let you pay by the class. Look for the most experienced teacher wherever you go.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options

Try sites like Groupon and Living Social. I always see deals for yoga studios in my area. As low as $25.00 for your first month of unlimited classes. Of course these are usually just for first time users and intended to get you in the door so you sign up for good, but there is nothing that says you have to. It could give you a great introduction and see if it is something that would work for you.

But, you really should see a doctor to get a clean bill of health before you try.
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues and I now do Yogalosophy, it's great, i like it that she keeps telling us that we3 need to do what feels good for our body! But I think before starting Yoga you should see a doctor for your back issue, so it doesn't become worst!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you have back pain, yoga would be the last thing I would suggest. In all honesty I would head straight to a chiropractor. They know structure both skeletal and muscular like its their job! :P I see one and she has done sooo much for my lower back pain!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would also consider doing some physical therapy first to get you past the acute phase before you move into the yoga. Try Ibuprofen if not contraindicated. Check back with your doctor to see if he will prescribe a short course of PT. After that, Yoga class would be great. Check your local community center for the city you live in and they may have some yoga classes that would not be so expensive.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options

First things first- go to your doctor and get your back checked out. Then check out living social or groupon for deals. You could also call the local studios to see if they will allow you to try a class for free. Don't sign a contract until you know that you want to do this regularly.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Those month packages are for unlimited usually. Most of the time classess are between 10-25 dollars. There are also places that offer it for free. The LuLuLemon at our mall offers it for free every Sunday. Every Saturday our Farmers Market has free community yoga as well!
  • ganbaranba
    ganbaranba Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Try sites like Groupon and Living Social. I always see deals for yoga studios in my area. As low as $25.00 for your first month of unlimited classes. Of course these are usually just for first time users and intended to get you in the door so you sign up for good, but there is nothing that says you have to. It could give you a great introduction and see if it is something that would work for you.

But, you really should see a doctor to get a clean bill of health before you try.

^^^ This
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    go and actually *see* a doctor or a chiropractor! you may need x-rays to see if you have a slipped disc, or even worse, a tumor growing :-(
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, you should be able to try the first class for free and/or find better deals than what you quoted. Some studios also offer unlimited first week or first month passes for a discounted rate. Also, depending on where you live, you may have access to Passport to Prana. It costs $30 and allows you to try each participating studio once. The nice part about that is that most studios do not count Passport to Prana as your "first" class, so you can still take advantage of a studio's first class or new student discount.

All that being said, before you do any of that, please, please, please have your back checked out first by a health care professional. Yoga can be excellent for your back (yoga + chiropractic is the only combination that helps my sciatica), but if there's something wrong with it then you could seriously damage your back further.