treadmill

Options
hi at the momment i only used the treadmill to workout i do 40 minutes a day burning 500 calories,is this enough to lose weight.

Replies

• Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is designed, you will lose weight whether you exercise or not. But in my opinion you shouldn't be doing only cardio. Add some weights into your exercise routine.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You need to challenge your body in order to change it.

If you are walking on the treadmill and not accustomed to it, then for a little while at least you are challenging your body and it will help. But as far as exercise is concerned, your body will adapt, and you need to find new ways to challenge it with harder, longer or more intense exercise. This is one of the reasons people plateau on their weight loss journey - they are not able to or not willing to make it harder for themselves.

But the main thing to remember is that "weight loss is done in the kichen, fitness is done in the gym". Without knowing what you are eating and what you are doing better in that area (if you need improvement) I would suggest that exercise alone will make it difficult to lose weight long term.

I've done it the hard way, I've come from being an overweight, unfit person who now manages a gym, is studying PT cert IV and runs half marathons. So I know it will be a hard journey when you are starting but the number one question to ask is "how badly do you want it". I ask potential members that every day, many of them have never asked themselves the question before, believe it or not.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    You need to challenge your body in order to change it.

If you are walking on the treadmill and not accustomed to it, then for a little while at least you are challenging your body and it will help. But as far as exercise is concerned, your body will adapt, and you need to find new ways to challenge it with harder, longer or more intense exercise. This is one of the reasons people plateau on their weight loss journey - they are not able to or not willing to make it harder for themselves.

But the main thing to remember is that "weight loss is done in the kichen, fitness is done in the gym". Without knowing what you are eating and what you are doing better in that area (if you need improvement) I would suggest that exercise alone will make it difficult to lose weight long term.

I've done it the hard way, I've come from being an overweight, unfit person who now manages a gym, is studying PT cert IV and runs half marathons. So I know it will be a hard journey when you are starting but the number one question to ask is "how badly do you want it". I ask potential members that every day, many of them have never asked themselves the question before, believe it or not.

Thanks for your motivational and inspiring words. bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Most of weight loss will come from diet not exercise. You would have to burn 3500 calories to work off 1 lb. Unless you are on the treadmill (or anything else) for a long time at a high intensity you will not lose weight with it.

Exercise is for toning your muscle and getting fit. Diet is where you will lose the weight. Eat a deficit and you will lose.