Bartending Calories

Options
I recently started a new job as a bartender. Up until yesterday I logged my shifts as 'cooking, food preparation'. Out of curiosity I decided to wear my HRM to work yesterday.

From 3-8 I cleaned toilets, took recycling out, restocked the bar and served happy hour customers. Not once was I without something to do, and I was not stood still for any longer than it takes to pour a pitcher. When i went for my break I checked my HRM and it said 1300 (or thereabouts).
I went back in at 9:30 and served the lively evening crowd. It wasn't hugely busy, being a Tuesday, but this is a popular bar and there is always something to do. At 12:30 we started closing up - my share of the work was dishwasher rotations, wiping surfaces, sweeping and mopping before carrying the recycling and empty kegs to the door for opening tomorrow.
In those 4 hours my HRM clocked up 1100.

Now I know a HRM isn't designed for use at rest - but at no point during my split was I resting. If it's acceptable to use a HRM when out for an easy walk, then surely nipping around behind a bar must be okay too.
I contemplated changing my activity level, but since some days I work 9 hours and some days I work none at all (and sit on the sofa all day) I thought I would log it separately for the time being.

Now if my BMR is 1440, which is almost 60 calories an hour, and I deducts 540 calories for the 9 hours I worked, I still come up with 1900. I finish work exhausted and hungry. My arms and legs are grateful to lie in bed and I can feel it in my muscles the next day.

Do you think I could have burned that many calories in a 9 hour bartending shift? Or shall I keep logging it as cooking (which estimates about 1050calories).

Please don't tell me to change my activity level, I will reconsider in a month or so when I am more accustomed to my new job.

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Really? Noone has anything to say?
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know too. I have my settings at sedentary since I have an office job where I sit most of the day, however, I serve/bartend on the weekends anywhere from 5-10 hours/day.
  • Charlie416
    Charlie416 Posts: 16
    Options
    Bartending is a very strenuous job. I was a server for many years, and I know for a fact it kept me in amazing shape. If you are tracking your heart rate, and are constantly moving I would say to make sure you have enough calories a day or it could be dangerous for your energy levels.

Cooking is a little different in terms of exertion in my books...unless it is an insanely busy kitchen ;)

Think about this if you're a bartender...

-you're on your feet the whole time
    -you're walking a half marathon by the end of going back and forth behind the bar and cleaning
    -you're heart rate goes up when you are busier due to stress levels, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're burning calories..hmm
    -you're carrying heavy boxes of beer, lifting trays, lifting bottles
    -you basically are getting a 9 hour full body work out.