sugars/carbs from fruits

Options
when you say don't worry about the sugars from fruits...do you mean the CARBS from fruits? I try to eat lower carbs...but love fruit so that is usually what raises the carb count

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    You still want to stay within your carb% for the day but don't worry about the sugar that is in fruits and veggies (unless you are diabetic I think). The ones you need to try to stay away from or keep to a minimum are refined carbs and sugars (added to food)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,997 Member
    Options
    Sugars are carbs. Naturally occuring sugars like the kind in fruit also come with a plethera of other micronutrients and fiber which are beneficial for overall health, while refined sugars come with nothing, basically empty calories. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, some peoples diet really could use a dose of foods that have a better nutritional profile especially people that tend to consume few calories and are borderline deficent from eating foods that are mostly derived from a food lab somewhere. If you don't have metabolic issues regarding carbs dont hate fruit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    when you say don't worry about the sugars from fruits...do you mean the CARBS from fruits? I try to eat lower carbs...but love fruit so that is usually what raises the carb count

you usually hear that from the people that eat fruit and have Sugar turned on in their diary - the target MFP uses for sugar is quite low.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be good to track my sugars but when I realized it didn't differeniate between natural sugar in fruit and added sugar in junk, I gave up. I love fruit and it is very healthy, so don't worry about the natural sugar unless you have a health condition that says otherwise.

you usually hear that from the people that eat fruit and have Sugar turned on in their diary - the target MFP uses for sugar is quite low.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input...I don't track sugars...just carbs, proteins, and fats (for now) and this seems to be working. I don't have much to lose (a couple more lbs) so the closer i get the more refined this all becomes.