Going on a Carnival Cruise in a week.. HELP!

I have worked pretty hard to get from 205 to 187 in the past couple of months..... Im so worried Im going to blow it all on this Cruise! Any advice? Starve myself this week? Not going crazy during the feeding frenzy aka Lunchtime on the Lido Deck???

I know Carnival has the "Spa" option on the menu that is Diet fare - has anyone tried this and is it any good? I know my one weakness is the Carnival Chocolate melting Cake, I can only imagine how many calories is in one of those things!!!!! HELP

Replies

• angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    I went on a Carnival cruise last August. First and foremost enjoy your trip :) Which itinerary are you doing?

Ok my tips:-

Forget the lift/elevator. Use the stairs and get energetic if you're not wearing heels (or take them off ;) ) and run up and down the stairs rather than walk. Just take it as an opportunity to move and burn a few calories.

Have room service breakfast. I loved the bagel, cream cheese and lox. Just don't have all the cream cheese.

Or have the breakfast in the dining room - some healthy choices there too.

If you do use the buffet head to where the fresh fruit is first and eat that first before you start on the cooked items.

Again at lunch do the same. Have the fruit and something savoury. They do great freshly made sandwiches. If you fancy chicken tenders have them but you don't need to fill up a plate with them at every meal. They do have some pretty healthy items. Food will still be there at the next meal time. Just have a plate of food. Eat until you're satisfied not feeling Christmas Day full and walk away.

I ate the Spa options most nights and thought it was really good. You could always have steak/lobster tails etc and ask for a side of vegetables which they are happy to provide. Some nights I didn't care for desert just because I'd filled up on the other 2 courses but I did leave room for the chocolate melting cake one night :) You don't have to have it every night but if you do, do more walking the following day.

You've achieved a great weight loss in since you've started so you know what is healthy food and what your portion sizes should be but a few extra things won't be the be all and end all. If you put on a pound or two you will drop them pretty quickly once you're home and get back to logging.

Oh and have a frozen margarita or two for me :)
  • megelis81
    megelis81 Posts: 6
    We are going on the Carnival Pride - Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport, Bahamas. I love fruit so it shouldnt be a problem to eat fresh fruit at breakfast and fill up. Last cruise Feb 2011 I had a Croissant every day at breakfast and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake 5 out of 7 nights - BIG Mistake.

I will try the Spa Options at dinner and def use the stairs a lot! And will certainly have a few frozen margaritas for you :)
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    I went on a Carnival Cruise in April, you're going to have so much fun!!! There were surprisingly healthy options at every meal! For breakfast there was fruit, bagels, cereal and also hot breakfast items like sausage, pancakes, biscuits and gravy.....the same for lunch & dinner, some healthy options & some not so healthy! Stay away from the blatant unhealthy options, i.e gravies, too many desserts, mayo and you'll be fine.

The thing that kept me on track the most was to limit myself to one plate every meal. So for b-fast, I would have fruit and a bagel with cream cheese for instance, for lunch I'd pile my plate with a healthy salad and one serving of a main course like rice with jerk chicken. I wouldn't allow myself back for a second plate, lol, no matter what :wink:

Dinner and beyond was the hardest time for me because dinner is my favorite meal & there was a sandwich shop open after hours that the kids loved eating at! I found the healthiest dinner options were at the sit-down dinner, where you're served, and the choices were healthier ie. broiled fish, steamed veggies and so on. There really wasn't a way to overeat at the sit down dinner, plus you get to dress up a bit, which made it special!

Overall, If I had just one tip, eat whatever you want, just watch the portion sizes!! And get in a session of exercise or two or three, haha! Anyway I hope you have a great time and if you gain a few lbs you can always come home and burn it off again! Good Luck :drinker:
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    I went on a Carnival Cruise 5 years ago. Ate like a pig. Drank like a fish. Walked so much and was so active that I lost 5 lbs that week!

Enjoy the food. Use the stairs. Be active. I don't think you are going to gain back 18 lbs in one week.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Enjoy the food. Use the stairs. Be active. I don't think you are going to gain back 18 lbs in one week.

^^^^ This x 100. Vacation is supposed to be fun. The bonus is that you're usually far more active. Enjoy yourself. Have this chocolate melting cake if you want it (once or twice). Indulge a bit. You're not on a diet; this is your life. Cruises and delicious foods can and should be part of it.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    The best advice has already been given! Take the stairs, take the stairs, take the stairs. We did not use the elevators once the entire time we were on the cruise, had dessert most nights (some were the lighter desserts), and most of our excersions were pretty active. I managed to lose two pounds that week. Interestingly, I did retain a lot of water (may have been my sunburn) but once it was gone (about a day) I saw another two pound drop.

Have fun!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    I went on a Carnival Cruise 5 years ago. Ate like a pig. Drank like a fish. Walked so much and was so active that I lost 5 lbs that week!

^^^^ Exactly!

I'm headed on a cruise in October. I plant to enjoy myself, eat, drink, and definitely check out the ropes course on the ship. In ports I plan to spend my day scuba diving, snorkeling, and hiking...

No intention of being on a "diet" on vacation... Just be me which is always active!!