I don't believe in the BMR thing. Anyone else?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    It's not accurate, but it's a close enough guess for most people. There are *some* people who are outside the boundary. If anything, though, due to your high level of physical activity you probably have a fair amount of muscle, so I'd not assume that you're lower.

If you really want some personalized help for your specific issues, why not ask your skating coach to recommend a sports nutritionist? Most of them have experience working with people who need to maintain high levels of physical activity and drop a few pounds.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 549 Member
    I don't believe the online calculators. I had a body fat % test done and they gave me a BMR and it didn't match the online ones - I believe that one though as they had more info.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    I *thought* I was sedentary because I have a desk job...and then I got a body media fit which shows I burn an average of 2,900 calories per day. Not as sedentary as I thought...so, you may be in the same boat as me where you are underestimating how active you are.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121

How would you know how much you burn? You think you can tell by your feelings?

If you want a precise bmr measurement, go have your bodyfat and VO2 intake measured.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    I don't trust the BMR calculators online either. Mine comes out to around 1500 online but the professional BMR I had done came to 1710
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I burn about 1,800 calories a day doing nothing all day long. My BMR is supposedly 1,085. I lose weight if I eat anything less than 1,800.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    In order to avoid a burn apply generous amounts of sunscreen.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    How can you "feel" how much you're burning?

this exactly

the measured bunch of people of your hight and weight and came with an estimate
    how can you feel how many calories you burn? magic?
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    I went to a lab with my husband last week and we both got tested at rest and during exercise. We had to wear masks and breath through a tube into an analysis machine. Stuff like this is not subject to belief.....there is real science behind it. You can have your own opinions, but the facts remain the same.
  • blmedina85
    blmedina85 Posts: 1
    there is a whole science and equation behind it, and if you wanted to look it up its called the "harris benedict equation".
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    X-files%20-%20I%20Want%20to%20Believe%20poster%5B1%5D.png
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    I suggest not even counting calories burned when not exercising. I never even consider it. The only calories I count as burned are the those that are worked off actually exercising! Anything over and above that is cake.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I suggest not even counting calories burned when not exercising. I never even consider it. The only calories I count as burned are the those that are worked off actually exercising! Anything over and above that is cake.
    Yes - cake that you should eat.

But seriously, that's a ridiculous thing to say. Unless you are doing very intense workouts, the majority of your calories are burned by things that are not exercise... like powering your brain, keeping your heart beating, and so on. If I go by what you're saying, if I don't exercise at all, I could live my whole life without eating.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 1,799 Member
    If you don't believe the calculation, why not just go get it tested?
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Trolling.
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    And if it were THAT easy, powering your brain, keeping your heart berating, etc, than obesity wouldn't be such an issue. What am I saying is exercise and stop counting or wondering what your body burns when powering your brain, etc.
  • JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Oh my gosh, I'm not doubting science or anything like that. It's just that the concept is weird.
    We have some unnecessarily mean people here :/
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    magnets_c.jpg
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    you would be surprised how much you burn. I have bodymedia fit. I was actually kind of shocked that I burn 2300 calories on a rest day. I mean I don't sit around all day, but just cooking, dishes and light cleaning.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I went to a lab with my husband last week and we both got tested at rest and during exercise. We had to wear masks and breath through a tube into an analysis machine. Stuff like this is not subject to belief.....there is real science behind it. You can have your own opinions, but the facts remain the same.

how did your results compare with the various predictions ?