Sandwiches

Options
anybody got any healthy sandwich recipes, they would care to share. At our church we have a fellowship every sunday night and we have teams that take turns making the meal. Our team has it this week and it is sandwiches. I would like to make something different and healthy, but not much you can do with sandwiches, I'm afraid. However, any suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated.

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oscar meyer makes a good 98% fat free bologna. Add slender american cheese. Viola! An old classic.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    How about arranging some kind of deli platter so people can make their own sandwhiches? Add some bowls or little areas for: yellow peppers, cucumbers, black olives, tomatoes, lettuce, baby spinach, hummus, alfalfa sprouts, chicken strips, pickles ... maybe a small variety of vinegarettes and mustard ... That way there is also a salad option.

You can also offer some whole wheat pita and flat bread instead of just sandwhich bread.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've been using oroweat double fiber bread and reduced sodium turkey breast this past week, along with a thin slice of provolone, or a couple of teaspoons of grated parmesan. Sometimes I put a few sliced olives in there too. I also like greens and tomatoes on my sandwiches but I didn't have any this week.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    What about those roll up sandwiches... um Aram sandwiches or something, I can't remember the name. My mom makes them with whole wheat tortiallas and then instead of putting cream cheese you could put the fage yogurt in them with turkey, lettuce, tomato ect... and maybe make some with cream cheese for people that aren't as healthy.

Here is a link to a picture of them cause I know I didn't explain myself very well at all! :happy:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4847887/1-main_Full.jpg

~Leash :heart:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Jamaican Turkey Sandwich

Sliced turkey (pre sliced or sliced breast)
    Jamaican spice blend
    Petite Diced tomatoes (VERY well drained)
    Cilantro
    Sour Cream (just enough to cool some heat, not to make it all goopy)
    Corn
    Lime juice
    honey
    Petite diced onions.
    Thick hearty bread of your choice (whole wheat rolls work well for this)

Take the tomatoes (drained) and mix in cilantro, corn, lime juice, honey and onions. Mix well in a bowl. Put in fridge overnight (or four hours). Day of the meal put turkey, Jamaican salsa blend and a dollop of sour cream on each sandwich. Enjoy!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Or skip the bread all together and use lettuce leaves.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Paula Deen, but you can alter it to make it healthy...

She drizzled onions with olive oil and then roasted them (this makes them so sweet and juicy) in the oven and then mixed it with mayo...use light or fat free

Spread good qulaity whole wheat or multi-grain bread with the onion-mayo spread

Put arugala, sliced apples (granny smith), turkey bacon, and low-fat cheddar on the bread and then "grill" it...you can use a grill, griddle, panini press, or just a skillet. Spray your cooking surface with Pam.

I made it, and it was so so yummy. It's not necessarily super low-cal, but it's special and different. I think the calories would be about 350 per sandwich.
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Have you thought of cucumber sandwiches??? Mmmmmmmmmm......DELICIOUS!!!!
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Have you thought of cucumber sandwiches??? Mmmmmmmmmm......DELICIOUS!!!!

I think there is a recipe on allrecipe.com or holidayrecipe.com and I have fallen in love with Sarah Lee 45 and delightful bread! So soft and only 45 calories a slice!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think tortilla wraps would be fun. You could use sliced turkey and lettuce or anything you like. Wrap them, slice them and arrange on a platter like this:

http://www.philadelphiaboxlunch.com/images/wrap.jpg
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your recipes. I know this sounds horrible but I don't even want to do it. I didn't want to be on a team at all, but when you are friends with the director of it, it's hard to say no. Oh well, I am a woman of my word, so I have to do it. But your recipes sound delicious.